How Does Strymon Record Their Demo Videos???

Discussion in 'Guitar Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by ToneBum, May 19, 2015.

1. ToneBum

ToneBum Silver Supporting Member

Ok, I just watched the new "DIG" promo video and I must know how they're recording their guitars???!! Are they going direct? Using some Damage Control pedal as an interface? Are they using a software amp? Please someone shed some light!

http://www.strymon.net/dig/

2. pima1234

pima1234 Member

I've always thought all their demos sound great, and they've only improved (a lot) over time (a few short years).

Dig sounds amazing! They should sell a boat load.

3. ToneBum

Anyone else? Can you shed some light??

4. claytushaywood

claytushaywood Member

I believe they used to show their signal path on their demoes. They use a damage control demonizer... but here's the kicker. They go
    guitar>demonizer's speaker cab sim out>strymon pedal>preamp for recording interface

The kicker here is why the shimmer demoes and the ice delay on the timeline sounds so ****ing fantastic. Because it's essentially getting a full range recording. Yes they use the EQ'd tube preamp of the damage control demonizer- and the speaker cab. But putting the effects after the speaker cab sim means that nothing gets cut off with all those octave and filter delays. if they put the strymon pedal in front of the demonizer all the high frequencies and sparkle would get cut out by the tone stack and speaker cab sim.

anything with octaves rising up or filters going and stuff- shimmer reverbs. will benefit immensely from this type of setup. its almost an unfair representation- because its not a normal guitar rig at all. It seems like the FRFR setups are the wave of the future.

I was thinking about coming up with a slight variation on this type of setup. Getting a tube preamp>pedals>full range power amp- maybe an old mcintosh> then going into a custom speaker cab using speakers with wider flatter responses like EV or JBL- or emience delta 12a's.

5. claytushaywood

claytushaywood Member

i saw some of the "damage control womanizer" pedals on the desk in one of the new videos for the DIG. might be worth looking into

6. Peeb

Peeb Member

They are beautiful demos, aren't they?

7. ToneBum

Thanks for the tips guys! I should've never sold my womanizer. I had one at one point. Ugh.

Question: I have a BigSky with the cab sim on the back. So should I go Womanizer (or deamonizer) > Timeline > BigSky (with cab sim) > Tube Preamp ?

Guess I could just try it!!

8. ToneBum

Just read a couple comments from Strymon on one of the Timeline videos.

1 - "We record everything in stereo into an audio interface that has discrete channels."

2 - "No virtual amps but we do use a Damage Control Womanizer preamp."

3 - "set up was pretty simple...Guitar > Damage Control Demonizer Tube Preamp > Timeline > Mac audio interface. Recorded in ProTools and used Reason for the drums and bass, didn't use any effects other than timeline..."

This should help me and everyone else!

9. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I use my Timeline into my amp's effects loop, the fidelity is outstanding. If you can, try it.