1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How does that TC Electronics delay pedal compare to the Boss DD20?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I have a Boss and it's pretty cool, but I noticed some bleeding of the delayed signal coming through the amp while the delay was turned off. I was thinking about upgrading to the TC ...... or, I hate to say it, but was thinking about possibly a TC Elect. G Major .... even though I am from the 'Less is More' school of thought.

Any opinions?

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Well, you asked . . . . .I HATE the DD20. Totally shredded my guitars signal. I'm sure the delays are fine but I could not get past the incredible lack of transparency.

I had the Nova delay for a while and it was more transparent than the DD20.

I now have the Time Factor and think it's the tops. Just first class all the way.I have one preset I made and it's so good that even if the pedal did nothing else I'd feel it was $399 well spent.

3. iualum

iualum Member

...Nova & DD-20 are both excellent, you can not go wrong...

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

See, there are just way to many factors in getting advice around here. I had the exact opposite experience. I have absolutely no issue or problems with my DD20 and like it more than the Nova (which I bought and returned). The Nova had a strange bypassed toned and sounded like it was putting a subtle chorus effect on my signal. It definitely did something - my signal was more "hi-fi" if you will even when the Nova Delay was off. I had more white noise/hiss with the Nova than my DD20 also, which was very surprising.

5. KennethC

KennethC Member

:BEER

6. dankayaker

We don't totally disagree, I no longer have the Nova either, it was not perfect. If you want as close to perfect as I've seen . . .get the Time Factor.
    My only gripe with the DD20 was that it basically removed most of my low end and attinuated the highs so badly as to make them brittle and thin.

7. KennethC

KennethC Member

Really glad my DD20 doesn't do that to me! I'd be peeved too..

8. phileo17

phileo17 Member

i've got kennethc's nova...and i'm lovin' it...hehe

9. KennethC

KennethC Member

too complicated for my simple mind, but glad u're enjoying it! :)

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

+1, I don't have that issue.

11. dankayaker

Wow, you guys have the only two Boss pedals ever made that don't suck your tone. I'm jesting . .kind of.

12. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I have the DD20, and found that it doesn't suck tone at all...for me anyway. It's a great pedal, and easy to use once you sit down and play with it for a bit. I'm not a huge delay user, but the room ambiance and reverb type tones you can get are great as well.

13. dankayaker

When I say suck tone I mean that I compare what my guitar sounds like through my amp, then add the delay pedal in line. I'm sorry guys, I find it hard to believe you don't hear any difference. If you're in love with the tone of just your guitar (Tyler) and amp(/13) like I am . . . .it is very noticable. Anyways, I play with a guy who uses a DD20 and frankly he gets good tone, but he has at least 8 other pedals (boss/mxr) prior to the delay. Not trying to poop in anyones punch bowl just expressing my opinion.

14. RDM

RDM Senior Member

But I don't. I have no reason to argue with ya. :BEER

My TU2 was a tone-sucker for sure, so I moved it to the end of my chain, and it's like night and day. The delay is not though. I used it on my VT40 and now my BMRI with the same results. The only adjustment I found necessary was that with my DD20, I have the tone set a little higher, as I found the delay to be a bit dark.

I don't care what delay you use...if you have 8 or so MXR and Boss pedals infront of it, you're going to have some tone-suck issues.

15. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I have no tone suck problems with the DD-20 in the effects loops of 3 of my 4 tube amps with loops. A little tone with one amp.

I almost never use it in front of amps for normal delay. I do use it in front of amps for a reverse delay effect, with very little tone difference.

Could it be the amps used, and the loops in those amps? Or when your DD-20 was made. I have one of the earlier ones.

16. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

I'm not sure the DD-20 'sucking' tone is the right way to say it. It changes the tone a bit, just like most Boss pedals, especially their delays. I don't have a problem with it personally because it is VERY negligible (in my setup).

To test it I put the DD-20 in a Pedalracks loop, and with the pedal not engaged, clicked the loop on and off. When the DD-20 was in line, there is a slight, and by that I mean very slight, loss of highs. COnsequently with the same test, the TU-2 and Ernie Ball Jr. pedals did the same thing. This is with 4 True bypass pedals in front of the loop (BUEQ-TIM-CUSACK TREM-DLS ECHOTAP).

MY solution: I compensate at the amps EQ, or I use the said loop to take it out of the chain when not in use. It's a small price to pay for some of the cool sonics you can get with the DD-20.

17. KennethC

KennethC Member

Well, Roland/Boss must like us more then :) NO TONE KILL from my DD20, I repeat. Thinning of tone?? I'd have returned it the very day I got it, had I gotten any of that from the DD20 - I am v sensitive to "thin tones", I almost abhor thin tones. Maybe my set up aint sophisticated enough for a significant difference to be heard yea? It's cool if you heard something we didn't, we're just saying we don't..:cool: