How does the audience hear you at small gigs?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ferrinbonn, May 26, 2019.

How does the audience hear guitars and bass at small gigs you play?

1. We only run vocals/keys/etc through the PA. Guitar/bass amps are turned up to hear on their own

77 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Guitars/bass go thru PA but amps are loud too. PA reinforces the sound but doesn't carry it fully

46 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Guitars/bass go thru PA and amp volumes stay very low. PA is the only sound source for audience

37 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

We use a 5000 watt sound system at small venues. FOH gets the vocals, keys and drums only. Although amps get mic'd to feed the IEMs. The vocal mics also pick up ambient stage sound so it all blends well in the FOH mix.

At larger venues everything is mic'd or DI'd and mixed FOH by a sound support co.

2. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Come to think of it... my old-timer keyboardist that couldn't stand when we tried to all go direct, is ALSO the guy that insisted on hauling a full-size Leslie speaker to every gig (except he had a "bad back", so me and the drummer – the "young guys" – had to move it!)

3. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

^omg, I'll never forget loading Hammonds, Leslies, oh and SVTs. :-/

[​IMG]

And even still to this day.
    We play the 1st note and you see 'em look at their watches, "Oh, didn't realize the time. Gotta get home."

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Funky54 and GenoVox like this.
  4. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I have a Bose L1 M2 system for the PA and it sits in the backline with the amps. Only the vocals are typically put through the Bose. If the room is bigger, I'll run overhead mics and a kick drum mic for the drums. I adjust the Bose volume per room and crowd requirements and the band self mixes to the PA output.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

For the player there is nothing like sitting behind a real B3 with a real Leslie at your back spinning your hair in the wind. Back in the day that was the only option to get that sound. OTOH these days, and from the audience, and through PA speakers, 99% of that vibe can be gotten with a Clonewheel with either the built in rotary sound or one of the rotary pedals.

Funky54 likes this.
  6. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

:D:D:D

So true!!!

7. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Oh believe me.... we used to point that out to him all the time! LOL

But yeah, he wouldn't even consider it... in fact, his keys – when he'd kick in that Leslie – were the loudest thing in the band... BY FAR

8. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

When I was on the road, we told our keyboardist that either he gets rid of the monster Leslie and the C-3, or he was going to carry his stuff by himself.

I couldn't take the poll - my option wasn't on it. We run EVERYTHING DI. No guitar, bass, or keyboard amps onstage at all.

DCross and GenoVox like this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I would love to be in a band that went all DI...
    Yeah, I used to play with a guy who wouldn't gig without a B3 and TWO Leslies. Those old guys (and I'm old, too) will fall by the wayside and things will be different. Bigger acts like Tedeschi/Trucks and Marcus King Band will always be a place where real B3 and Leslie players can work, but for most bands the clonewheels, and they're getting better all the time, can certainly suffice.

GenoVox and big mike like this.
  10. sturge

sturge Member

For us, it depends. We are a 6 piece band playing rock covers w/bass, drums, keys and 2 guitars. I always prefer to be mic'd (guitar) but for most of the smaller 'pub' venues we do fine using amps for keys, bass and guitar and leaving the PA for vox/kick. We have a strong drummer who uses dynamics well so she sets the baseline and we are all pretty good at following her lead which keeps stage levels reasonable. We've played together for years and all of us are good at quickly dialing in volume/tone to fit the mix which is a huge part of why it works for us.

For un-mic'd gigs I've found that an open back 2X12 cab makes a big difference in getting my sound spread across stage for other band members to hear without ridiculous stage volume, and it moves plenty of air for leads when needed.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Open back cabinets...yes!

12. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

I chose option one. But in one of my bands I am playing bass in I just use an EBS preamp pedal and DI to the board. I have a full Aguilar db750 rig but it's just so heavy and a bit over overkill for a small gig where a DI will do the trick.

13. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I guarantee one of two things will happen if you play my area. Either A) you’ll be fired from every venue for being too loud or B) you will end up (due to common sense) turning off every mic you used except vocals and kick because the venue manager owner will tell you you are too loud.

Mic all you want, you will be too loud if guitars are through it. It’s not that a bands stage volume is too loud, it’s that an un mic’d 15 watt amp is at 2.5 and it’s all the volume the venue can handle.