How does the boost on the Fulldrive compare or differ from the Fatboost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Omega, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Omega

Omega Member

One pedal is a boost, the other is has a boost. How do the boosts compare or what are the sound differences. Does it make sense to own both?

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

They're pretty different. The boost on FD2 is a second gain stage to the pedal itself being on (so like turning the pedal on is stage one, boost is stage two). It saturates the signal more, so you get more sustain and more distortion, but not necessarily more volume. You really have to tweak FD2 a bit in order to get a big volume jump out of the boost.

Fatboost is a lot more like a conventional boost pedal - you can add volume for a clean boost, and/or you can add more gain if you want that (not near the gain of the FD2 of course).

If you're looking for a boost to get volume, Fatboost does that better; if you want more distortion, FD2 does that better. That's basically how I look at them.

edit - I own both. Never used both together, but I could see doing it to have the options of two overdrive channels (FD2's left side + its boost) and also a clean boost with the Fatboost. Probably would want to keep the Fatboost's drive knob low in that case and rely on FD2 to do all the driving.

3. Omega

Omega Member

So having them both is not overkill? They would then serve different purposes?

4. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Yep. Just as an example, you could do just the FD2 w/o the boost for a rhythm crunch, turn on the FD2's boost just for thicker tones like on turns and big choruses and stuff, and hold the Fatboost back until you're ready to solo and then kick it on as a volume boost. I think that could work out pretty good. Might try it myself actually. :)

5. Omega

Omega Member

Very helpful info and example. Thank you.

6. detour718

detour718 Member

This might be slightly off the mark, but I've read that the boost side of the GT-500 is the same as the Fat Boost (FB-2? - I have no idea what the drive side is like).

fwiw... I have an FB-1 and it's one of my favorites.

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

The "boost" on the FD2 isn't actually a second, active gain stage. It merely switches out the 500K ohm gain pot in favor of the 1M ohm boost pot in the FD's single gain stage, changing the loading of the circuit resulting in more gain and a more saturated and warmer tone with more sustain. I think it's a beautiful sound and more like a SD-1 or TS or something of that nature than when the 500K pot is engaged..