How does the Foxrox CC2 stack up?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, Jun 7, 2006.

1. shakti

shakti Member

Well, I never thought this would happen...but I am considering replacing my CC2 with individual effects.

The reasons are several. Firstly, I am "re-thinking" my whole board. Not as in a drastic paring-down approach or anything, but more of a new layout. Most of my pedals are definite stayers. Secondly, I have a hunch I'd be slightly happier with single effects that run on DC, not AC (bye-bye wallwart and the slight hum that those things often introduce). Thirdly, I never use the Fuzzfoot section. I have a hot silicon fuzzcard in it, but I don't know...it sounds very, very good, but not *great*, IMHO. I think maybe it boils down to it not running on batteries.

In my setup, I try to buffer as soon as possible in the chain with a VHT Valvulator to keep the signal as pure as possible. That's more difficult with the Fuzzfoot as it needs to see a high impedance output pedal in front of it (i.e. not a buffered one like a Boss or the Valvulator). So that means the CC2 has to go up front, before the VHT...which it can't do because it's fairly big and bulky (not much more so than three individual pedals though). I know you can patch the effects in any which order, but on my board(s) it is not practically possible to patch only the fuzz first. So my approach was to put the VHT in a bypass lopp at the front and switch it out whenever I wanted to use the Fuzzfoot. However, for some reason that introduces a very slight high-pitched noise which is greatly amplified by the fuzz...sigh...

Soooo...I am thinking: I hardly ever use the Fuzzfoot, and I think a silicon fuzzface can probably sound even better than the Fuzzfoot(by way of a battery). Maybe I should replace the Provibe and Octave with stand-alone pedals? That would make things more flexible as far as where to place the pedals in the chain, and also free up a little bit of space for something else.

As for the Uni-vibe feature, I love the sound of the Provibe. Previously I've used a Dunlop (yuck...decent sound on its own, but it's *not* a Uni-vibe sound) and a Microvibe (closer, but still no cigar...cigarillo maybe). So my references aren't that many and that great. If there's one slight thing I *might* miss in the Foxrox Provibe, it is that it sounds maybe a *slight* bit "hi-fi". I am somehow thinking it should be slightly grungier, warblier....but it could be just my ears, my playing or other gear/setup. If I were to replace it, a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe is probably the one I'd first look at. Anynone with experience with both who would like to compare?

The Octave in the CC2 sounds great to me, but again...*maybe* a battery-powered one would have the edge? This was my first classic Octavia-style pedal. I have been looking at the Chicago Iron Octavian. Anyone compare the two?

On the other hand, if I keep the CC2 (and get rid of the bypass loop for the VHT), I will lose the high-pitched noise (which for some reason stems from the bypass loop), but will render the Fuzzfoot unusable unless I plug directly into that. Which isn't much of an issue since I hardly ever use it anyway... So it boils down to this; do you think the alternatives to the Provibe and Octave in the CC2 are noticeably better (not just the ones I mentioned, although I will be looking at those first)? Is it worth the effort to replace them, or am I just going through classic GAS blues?

2. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I buffer at the end of my chain and all the pedals in front of the CC2 are TB so I can't address that. I don't get any hum at all with the AC except for the regular single coil added noise that is there no matter what pedals I have. I haven't tried the hot silicon but I absolutely love both the NKT and the stock hybrid card...knocked my original tonebender and old fuzzface into the closet for safe keeping.

In regards to the vibe section, I don't think that there is a better one out there (my opinion of course) and my CC2 will stay on my board solely for the provibe, though I use the fuzz dialed back with guitar volume quite a bit.

Sorry, not really helping you ... just rambling on. I say keep it under the bed while you try out some of the individuals and then sell it if you get thre results you are looking for.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

While the CC2 is a GREAT pedal...the Octron is more versatile for octaves, and the Octron2 is coming shortly (6 months?).

PLUS...down the road somewhere, Dave has mentioned putting out a ProVibe.

He has also mentioned not making the CC2 anymore.

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I wonder how these two things will effect the future value of CC2. Stand alone Provibe can't be cheap taking into account the work involved and demand.

5. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I think the CC2 will probably go up in value after a couple months of no production.

6. DK207

DK207 Member

Octron 2?? What is this beast of which you speak?

7. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

8. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I have played the CC2 and I liked the ECS control but actually preferred the sound of my Voodoo Vibe. I think the Mojo Vibe sounds very close to the ProVibe (but it doesn't have the ECS of course). Both sounded a little bit darker than the Voodoo Vibe.

If I was looking for a Univibe right now I'd check out the Uber Vibe and the Tube Vibe. However, the Tube Vibe does not do batteries. Some folks have been very happy with the KR Mega Vibe, and I get the impression it is less "hi fi" and more "swampy." The Uber does stereo and has a little more tone shaping than the Mega.

I still dig my Voodoo Vibe, but it is a big sucker.

9. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have a CC2 and, while I don't share any of the problems which you have listed, I think the Fuzzfoot is the best fuzz I've heard (I own 6), and I haven't found anything yet as good as the Provibe, it sounds like it's just really not for you. The issues you describe are all valid issues and not ones that can be fixed (if you can't run the fuzzfoot first in the chain). So I think you're right, I think it is probably time for you to move on. Maybe get a Soul Bender, a MoJo (or MoFaux), and an Octron (or even an EH Mulitplexor), and consider yourself a happy man.
    Good luck.

10. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

Keep the CC2
    buy other stuff, if you have the money- but your really getting into splitting hairs here (as far as getting "better").
    on the other hand if it doesn't inspire you it doesn't inspire you
    maybe try some other fuzzcards.

11. shakti

shakti Member

I have a germanium fuzzcard lying around, but I just love my Sunface NKT... But I guess you're right...I am getting into splitting hairs about this. Damn, the Provibe and Octave are indeed excellent. I think I was just frustrated that after I finally put this all together in order to use the Fuzzfoot (by bypassing the VHT) I was getting this noise... I think what I'll do is to just remove the bypass loop, and just not use the Fuzzfoot in that setting (with the board). Since it's not an important sound for me in a band setting, I will still have it available by plugging directly into the fuzz (and it is indeed a fine fuzz...).

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone... :)

12. DK207

DK207 Member

13. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Ever try an NKT card for the CC2 ... cat's meow.:JAM

14. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

I'd like to try the NKT card, but last time I ask Analogman he had none.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Maybe you could talk to Dave Fox and see if he would mod it by putting a trimpot on each effect to lower the power it gets like the "sag" controls on the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2...