How does the GGG Standard OD compare to the Eternity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JPenn, Feb 10, 2006.

1. JPenn

JPenn Member

I've got the GGG and have been wanting to try the E out bigtime, cashflow has just been slow for a few months. How does the S/O stack up to the Eternity?

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

3. JiMB

JiMB Member

What is the GGG S/O? I haven't heard of it.

4. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

GGG = General Guitar Gadgets
    S/O = Standard Overdrive.

As you might have guessed - www.generalguitargadgets.com/

Never played any, but have read some positve comments on the forum.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Nothing compares to the Eternity ;)

Just kidding.. Stacked my Eternity and EGDM today with magnificent results. Rock on!

6. John II

John II Member

Yesterday CBeeper and I a/b'ed the Eternity with the GGG. He described it best when he said that the GGG is the Eternity with tissue paper over the tone. The GGG comes remarkably close, but is missing some mid to high end clarity/articulation.

The GGG is a heck of a value for $130.

~John II

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Wow tissue paper..... thats pretty close. Isnt the GGG SO a highly modified tubescreamer?

8. John II

John II Member

Yes! I am telling you that you can get pretty close. Not dead on, but close.

~John II

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah, I have a TS-9 modded to 808 with these mods from monte allums(ts-9RC4558P Chip Mod- -8-Pin Chip Socket- -Brown Mod- -Several Hi-Fi Mods- -Smoother Gain Mod- -More Transparent Tone Mod- ) Then my ts-9 sounded so much like my Eternity I got rid of the Eternity. The Eternity was slightly less noisy and had more control over the tone, but overall the feel was there. Both great pedals. I just kept looking down and seeing $300 at my feet. FWIW I havent tried the most recent incarnation of the Eternity. I would like to take a GGG SO and an Eternity and AB them while doing op amp swaps.

10. JPenn

JPenn Member

I finally got a chance to try out an Eternity and it didn't do it for me. I ran it thru my 6V6/C12N Hot Rod Deluxe. The buddy of mine that owns 2 of the E's uses a 50 watt Marshall/Dr Z 2x12 and the E sounded ALOT better thru that set up.

If I had access to enough cash I would have an Eternity just incase I wanted that vibe.