• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

How does the GT-500 compare to the OCD?

TheGrooveking

I am curious, I have been extremely busy, so I haven't had a chance to grab a GT-500 yet, but was wondering how it compared to the OCD, for those who may have tried them both.

TheGrooveking

Jack

The texture of the dirt on the GT is more finely grained, to use a sandpaper analogy. The GT is more pick sensitive, less compressed. The GT has more control over the eq by a long shot, more control over mids.
That being said, I prefer the OCD (v.3) because I like its dirt/clipping texture better and I like things a little bit compressed, I guess. I could see someone else preferring the GT. They're both good.
The feel is different.

delichef

I have both, love both. There was a wow factor to the OCD (v4!) that I didn't get with the GT-500. The GT-500 responded how I expect a distortion pedal to respond...if that makes sense. The eq is very nice and overall the pedal just works. Love the clean boost, but set it as a low gain OD for now (can't wait for the timmy). The OCD is just about the perfect pedal in my mind. Jack's descriptions were pretty good but I experienced the opposite with the "sandpaper" analogy. The OCD sounds finer to me, but maybe that's the way I have them setup. I was going to buy a second OCD but picked up the GT-500 instead...and i'm very happy with the overall results. This is with a Strat into a lightning clone at lowish volumes.

I tried the GT500 hoping that it would be a clean boost on one side and a OCD on the other and it wasn't. I didn't like the distortion side at all. I was able to get a good Black Sabbath kind of sound, but didn't really care for it after that. The OCD is my favorite of all Fulltones stuff and I'm really missing having one on my board right now.

Above is mentioned OCD v4! Has a new version come out?

vtg

carlygtr56

I got some GT-500 clips in my sig. The thing recorded GREAT, but I prefer the feel and tone of the OCD and would rather stack two OCD's to get endless gain and sustain.

StompBoxBlues

I got some GT-500 clips in my sig. The thing recorded GREAT, but I prefer the feel and tone of the OCD and would rather stack two OCD's to get endless gain and sustain.
Just to get a third opion then...on the "sandpaper analogy" above, which would you say? OCD is the finer-grained one, or the GT?

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the GT500 hoping that it would be a clean boost on one side and a OCD on the other and it wasn't. I didn't like the distortion side at all. I was able to get a good Black Sabbath kind of sound, but didn't really care for it after that. The OCD is my favorite of all Fulltones stuff and I'm really missing having one on my board right now.

Above is mentioned OCD v4! Has a new version come out?

vtg

OCD V4 was a joke started by a fulltone employee..........V3 is the latest and greatest!

I also prefer the crunch of the OCD as well, I liked the GT500 but the OCD just works better for my style!

carlygtr56

Just to get a third opion then...on the "sandpaper analogy" above, which would you say? OCD is the finer-grained one, or the GT?
I don't compare ODs to sandpaper.

The GT-500 didn't saturate. It was very clinical, unforgiving and I didn't like the mid control. I don't like a wah inductor for a midrange control. IMO that was a bad idea.

The Dist side didn't have much Dist and to OD the Dist side, I had to use tons of the booster side's LEVEL to get some gain with it. That's how I did my clips.

The OCD was a more normal OD, IMO. It has it's own sound and I prefer it to the GT-500

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Having just bought an OCD, Fulldrive, and a GT500 recently, and trying all of them out, it brought the question to my mind:

What amp/amp settings does mike fuller base his pedals around?

I feel this is kind of important, and may be the reason why some people LOVE the GT and others dont.

Does he design his pedals to work well with a totally clean, dry, low volume fender with no breakup? OR does he design them to work with a half-cranked marshall at stage volume?

waveman

Here is my take...I have OCD v2 and GT 500

OCD is more of a low-medium gainer. The gain tends to compress above 12:00.

GT-500 doesn't compress, just gets gainier and the gain on the distortion side starts off with a little more hair than the OCD at 12:00...they diverge at that point as far as gain structure is concerend. Also, the boost on the GT is capable of either low gain or clean boost...it never really gets as gainy as the OCD IMO.

So the GT500 dances around what the OCD does, and the OCD fits right in between the two options, gain wise, that the GT 500 offers. Both are great pedals. I really like the crunch I get out of my GT500, and I use a E to give it more gain for harder rock, use the boost as a clean boost for the E (or OCD sometimes) and the distortion side of the GT.

RickB

I'd really like to see a GT-500 with the OCD circuit in place of the distortion circuit.

carlygtr56

I'd really like to see a GT-500 with the OCD circuit in place of the distortion circuit.
I was gonna post that in my last post.
It should have been two OCDs or an OCD with a Fat Boost and lose that inductor mid control.

RickB

I was gonna post that in my last post.
It should have been two OCDs or an OCD with a Fat Boost and lose that inductor mid control.
There was a pic on the Fulltone site a while back of the "Double D" which was two OCD's in one box. Maybe it's time for Mike to do the modular thing with say three slots and give us the option. 3 OCD's in a row..... OCD > Fat-Boost > OCD.......... mmmm....... :JAM

Trending Topics