How does the new Komet 50 sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glaze, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Glaze

Glaze Member

I read the Komet 50 posts about a few guy's getting the komet 50 and how great they looked, but no one said much about how the amp sounds. Anyone ready to give a sonic evaluation?

I'm thinking about buying one of the regular production Komet 50 Models in black tolex if it actually becomes available that way, so I'm really interested in how this amps sounds compared to a vintage Marshall Plexi.

Thanks

Mike

2. John55

John55 Member

A person I know has one and just today I asked him a similar question. He told me it has the massive bottom of a good plexi Marshall, coupled with all the harmonics and overtones of a 'wreck or Komet 60.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

That was TOTALLY bizarre wasn't it!!!!!!!! There was a whole thread on how nice they were, but not 1 mention of how they performed as amps??? That was eerie.... BUT , just by looking at them they have to sound unbelievable right? :AOK They were absolutely gorgeous .

ERIC

4. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Yeah.......I noticed that, too.

Most of those amps will never leave the house or apartment, barely turned up at all. Next there will a lot of questions about how to attenuate it to keep it at bedroom levels.

It really might be a great amp but at that price point it's definately targeted at the collector.

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    How do you know collector's don't turn their amps up? How can you make a blanket statement like that?

6. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Yeah! I heard Chuck playing the other night and I live all the way in Louisiana!:)

7. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Well.........I read the posts. Outside of members commenting about how good Komet amps sound (60 annd Connie) the 2nd most discussed topic is how to attenuate them down to house levels (wife, kids, neighbors are often mentioned). Some guys might have basements where they can crank it up but already a one of the owners of the new amp posted that he lives in an apartment and is looking for the right time to open it up.
    I was one of the members who noticed that the emphasis was overwhelming on the look of the amp rather than the tone. This could change over time and I might be completely wrong. Time will tell.

8. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I went to hear Mook’s band Magnolia Blue over the weekend. He had his Komet Limited and Neil, his rhythm guitar player (Syngltrack on the Forum) had a Komet 60. First, the amp is absolutely beautiful. It was truly a work of art, and the pics on the Komet website don’t do it justice. If I owned a Limited I would be scared to gig with it because I’m sure I would manage to mar the finish in about 10 nanoseconds. I thought the Limited's clean sounds were very good. But where the amp really excels is in its overdriven tones. When Mook was using his Les Paul the amp produced singing, harmonically rich, complex tones with a lot of bottom end that never got loose or flubby. He could get the amp to feedback on single notes, and you could often hear the harmonics on top of the fundamental. With a Strat the amp was a bit sweeter sounding, with the mids clearer and more pronounced than with the LP. I wasn't paying much attention to what was on Mook's pedalboard, but the amp did seem to be very pedal friendly. Every effect he used sounded good to my ears. The Limited seemed to have more gain than the Komet 60, but it was hard for me to quantify the exect differences. I thought the amp sat really well in the mix when Mook was using his LP and Syngltrack was using a Strat. My one criticism was that when both guitarists were using Les Pauls the mix got a bit muddy, because the Komet Limited and Komet 60 have similar sonic footprints. When both guitarists were using Strats the muddiness I heard was still there, but it was much less pronounced. In my opinion the Limited is a great sounding amp that works well in a gigging situation and I really enjoyed listening to it. I think Hogy and Ken Fischer have produced a real winner.

FVB

9. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I made a few very positive comments about the tone of the amp in the original thread, as did a few other guys. How many of these amps do you think are out there yet? The first batch of 10 has only been out there for about 3 weeks or so, and the second batch of 10 has probably only recently arrived. I'm not one for fruity superlatives when talking amps, so I'll just say this...if you're looking for the most overbuilt amp in the world, with organic clean and OD tones to die for (and if you can afford it), then it doesn't get much better than the KF50. Oh, ***and*** it's friggin' gorgeous too. I think Hogy described it best by comparing it to a wreck mixed with a marshall super-bass. I would second the observation that it is a great strat amp...

Oh, and I'm no collector. I play in two bands, and my lovely wife let's me crank the piss out of my amps just about any time I wish. I've taken the KF50 to rehearsal but not to a gig yet (and probably won't until I get a tolex box for it). One of these days I will get around to recording clips of the amp, maybe over the holidays.

10. Glaze

Glaze Member

I think most of the guy's that have received the Komet 50 really want to spend some time with it before they post a sonic review of it and yes only a few on this forum have one. In the next couple of months I'm sure I will read several Komet 50 reviews and comparisons to other amps. I've played through several Komet 60's and that amp blows me away, but was not 100% what I wanted tonally. The Komet 50 sounds exactly like what I want because I'm a vintage Marshall fanatic. If I buy one it will be a Komet 50 covered in black tolex. I will take it out to clubs, crank it up and play Strats/Les Pauls through it.

Thanks for the information EL34.

Mike

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

FlyingVBlues,

Did the two Komets sound significantly different or were the pretty similar?

12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The Limited seemed to have more of everything - more clarity, more harmonic richness, and more low end. The low end of the Limited is rounder and warmer, and on really low notes has a cello-like quality to it that is missing in the 60. I sat in for 2 songs using the Komet 60, and it was really evident that they were distinctly different amps. We were both using LP's and the Limited got a singing tone with a lot of sustain and single-note complexity that the 60 just didn't have. The difference when both Mook and Neil were using Strats was much greater than when they were both using LP's. To me, the Limited is a step up the evolutionary ladder in the direction of a Trainwreck. I've played Ingrid, Mook's Trainwreck Express, a bunch of times and I think the Limited is much closer sounding to the Trainwreck than the Komet 60.

FVB

13. Glaze

Glaze Member

Flying Blues

The Komet 60 responds to playing technique like very few amps can and that amp goes from clean to overdrive in an extremely smooth way when turned up without touching any knobs on the amp or guitar. This is what I really like about the Komet 60 and tonally it sounds fantastic.

Your description of the Komet 50 is more along the lines of what I wanted out of the Komet 60. If I buy another amp anytime soon it will be a Victoria 4x10 Tweed Bassman or a Komet 50 most likely. Not much else is really interesting me much. The Komet is still up in the air, but I already know the Victoria Bassman is hands down one of the best amps I've ever played through for what I prefer to hear.

Mike

14. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Glaze,
    Sounds like you and I are heading down the same path. There have only been a few amps that have really changed the way I hear things.

Tweed Bassman
    '68 marshall plexi
    trainwreck Liverpool (ginger)
    Komet '60 (still hate myself for selling it)

I just doesn't get any better for me.

15. Glaze

Glaze Member

Pfrischmann

Tone/sound wise I personally prefer a Tweed 4x10 Bassman over most high end amps made today. I have compared that amp side by side to many high end amps and thought the Tweed Bassman sounded better. It's not a high gain machine, but in the tone department I personally do not think we have improved upon that amp in 50 years.

My favorite cranked full up overdriven tone is a vintage Marshall.

The Komet 60 is one of the best amps I've played through hands down. I would have bought one if it did everything it does and sounded like a Marshall turned full up. That is a tall order because I know Ken does not copy Marshall designs and I have talked to him about it. The Komet 50 might just be what I really want, but if it isn't I will just buy a used Victoria 4x10 Bassman. Not much I can't do with the right guitar, the right pedal and the 4x10 Bassman for the tones I prefer. Then again it would be nice if the Komet 50 just blows me away, but I may be asking to much from it because I really want it to be a Marshall that cleans up like nothing else, and can get smooth sustain on every fret of the guitar when turned up. I assume the Komet 50 is going to go from clean to overdrive in that silky smooth way just like the Komet 60 does just from playing technique(playing harder/softer) alone and that is one of the biggest reasons why the Komet 60 impresses me so much.

Mike

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

can anyone compare the Komet 50 to the Connie? Both clean and dirty?

17. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

I compared both this evening actually. And I love both. Im not going to get into flowery comparisons but here is what I feel the difference is.
    1) The Connie has more gain.. and it comes on faster.
    2) The KF50 --to my ears-- is like a K60 and good Plexi merged. Tighter than the K60 I think..I think the distortion is a little bit grainier than the K60 --more Plexi-ish--, and I think the Connie distortion is maybe slightly grainier than the KF50. KF50 Definitely has the CRACK!! of a good plexi. Sounds absolutely KILLER with a good Strat.
    3) I think the Connie is actually more in the Trainwreck vein than the K50 really. By that I mean: with the Connie I think notes turn into harmonic feedback faster and easier. The Connie will do that even clean.
    4) The KF50 like the K60 has more tone shaping ability than the Connie.
    5) The Connie has 2 Channels --which often goes overlooked-- which are footswithable, I like that alot because I admittedly am not a master at using my volume on my guitar while playing..so I like the clean to crunch, or mild crunch to scalded dog with a click of the footswitch option
    Both are Awesome amps ..if you had either one you'd probably be VERY happy.