How does the Roland 40xl "extreme" setting sound?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Toneseeker361, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

And how is the headphone out compared the the micro cube?
    I have a micro cube, and want a roland 40xl, but the music stores dont stock them.
    Ive seem the vids, but obviously, my computer speakers dont do it justice.
    Can anyone give me the lowdown on this amp?
    I have a SCXD and a fender Miii, but I have a 200.00 store credit at a pawn shop and am waiting for a desireable amp to show up.
    Its either this or the Fender mii....or maby a vox VT somthing...

2. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I can't speak for the 40XL, how about the 80XL? I imagine they're similar enough.

Never used the micro cube, but the headphone jack on the 80XL is useful enough. I don't really use it often, the whole reason I bought the 80XL was so I could have a 12 inch speaker.

The Extreme setting is an ultra-ultra saturated high gain setting. It goes beyond the Rectifier setting in the amount of saturation. It's almost fuzz pedal-ish except it's definately EQ'ed and contoured for metal. In a word, it is "extreme". :D

Just an observation - the further you go down the "stack" settings on the Cubes, the quieter they are and they seem to lack presence. The Classic Stack (Marshall 1987x) is noticibly louder and cuts through better than the Metal Stack (Peavey 5150) and so on as you move the dial down through Extreme. However, you can adjust the volume to compensate easily enough.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

Lots of useful information, thank you very much....
    Rectifier is pretty high gain, now, Im thinking the extreme may me comparable to the line 6 "insane" option....
    Thanks again...

4. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Possibly. Also, each stack model is more and more compressed. Classic is the least (which makes sense - it's supposed to be a cranked vintage Marshall). Extreme is really, really compressed along with being really saturated.