How does the Tweed Deluxe perform in a band?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toneman335, Mar 31, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Does the Tweed Deluxe's 14 watts or so have enough power and projection to play in a live small to medium setting?

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

It can. Use an efficient speaker and get it off the ground -- on a chair, stand or something.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the band.

I gigged one the other night.

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

As long as you don't need tons of headroom, it works well. 14 watts is plenty, and these amps sing like a fat lady when pushed to gig levels. It's quite magic

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I used to gig one with a JBL D120 in it. Plenty loud for a small club. A while back I bought a pair of early ndym Celestion Centurys. These speakers are terrible in everything else but in the Deluxe they are very loud, louder than the JBL, and really add a lot of low end and sparkle on top. I think a Jensen neo would probably be not as efficient but would sound great. The nice thing about the neo speakers in these amps is that you've got a great sounding rig that only weighs 25 pounds or so. I use mine with a Van Amp Sole-Mate reverb. Sounds great! Also the light weight is good for how lightly constructed the amp is. My Deluxe is a 1956 that I had recapped about 10 years ago. It's an ugly old road dog but it's one of my faves. I also have a really rough one from August of 1954. That's the month and year I was born! It has a bad transformer. I also have a '59 with changed grille cloth and suitcase handle. It sounds like a dog because the speaker and electronics have never been worked on.

6. bynt

bynt Member

Wow, this is so cool!!! I was going to post the same thread.

7. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    The Tungsten Cortez is a to the tee Tweed Deluxe Clone, but with better parts and speakers

However, Adam makes a 25 W one with an oversized OT, that can handle the extreme punishment of a Les Paul; and could cut through a band mix no prob

8. PKAZ

PKAZ Member

i use mine all the time. (Clark Beaufort). It's the only amp I use anymore. If the room is big I just use a mic through the PA. And in smaller places, un-mic'd is just fine. The stage volume is really perfect with a Tweed Deluxe. I can actually hear myself and the rest of the band.

Though it really depends on your type of music, and most importantly the group of musicians you are playing with.

I've found that if I play with actual musicians and not a bunch of hacks, it is plenty loud for any situation.

It's those times where the other people in the group don't have a clue how to play their instrument is where you'll run into trouble with a Deluxe. Some "guitar players" and "drummers" (bass players are generally not a problem) can tend to play too loudly and don't listen to anyone but themselves. You'll be SOL with a Deluxe and no mic.

Anyway, I used my Beaufort last week in a gig where the other guitarist was using a Fender Twin. I was just fine. And we were not mic'd.

9. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

As long as your drummer has a functioning brain. From my experience, if your drummer is very LOUD, then a tweed deluxe will not have enough stage volume (sans mic). Having said that, I use my tweed deluxe for almost everything but outdoor gigs. I replaced the stock Jensen with a Celestion Gold for a little more volume and clean headroom. Perfect little amp for small clubs because you can actually work the power tubes!

10. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yes. This is what I do for smaller rooms or maybe medium (???) depending on acoustics of space and FOH support I guess. I use bigger amp for bigger rooms. But small tweed is first choice (early 50s Deluxe).

If worried about sound in bigger rooms, I used Brown Deluxe for awhile and it was loud with an EV speaker. Like Nugent!

Thany you.

DS

11. go7

go7 Member

Yes, a Deluxe is my #1. Have bigger and more expensive amps but a Deluxe just works for me.If I can use it I do.Good luck.

12. drawrein

drawrein Member

Depends, blues and rock: best overdrive ever. My limited experience is that clean and moderately loud is not an option. Humbuckers push the amp to even earlier breakup. IMO one could A/B it with say a cheap BJr set to clean and have a great setup.

(I've often wondered why the rockers never made a wall of these babys)

D

13. bynt

bynt Member

:drool:drool:drool

14. freaksho

freaksho Member

+1
    i have one. moderate rock band volumes: great crunch, no cleans (with HB's).

15. Dave Orban

Mine (a '54) has a Weber California 12 (paper dust cap) in it, and I get the same benefit of added headroom and greatly-increased low-end girth.

16. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I gig with my clark beaufort. The biggest thing is the other musicians you are playing with. You also need to use your volume controls on your guitar. I can get a good un-miked clean tone with a live band on my les paul, as long as I drop the volume back some on the guitar. But if you have a loud knucklehead in the group, forget it.

17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Dave,

How does the "Cali" break up, especially on the top end? I like a smooth but harmonic laden upper end.

Tom

18. Dave Orban

It's fairly tight, as you would imagine. Not the harmonic complexity of, say, a Celestion Blue...

You will push it harder (and generate some thick, syrupy grind) with humbuckers than you would with, say, a Tele pickup...

19. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I was just wondering. I had one in my Victoria Pro (entirely different amp vs the tweed Deluxe) and it had a high end, Marshall-like, sizzle that I personally didn't care for. Some guys would love that but I wanted something a little smoother in the top end so I installed a Weber P15N (15A150) and really liked that. But I would think a "Cali" would sound killer in a tweed Deluxe, especially if you want some headroom...great idea.

Tom

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

neil young does okay with one, no?