• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How does the Zoom G5N compare to the old guard?

I'm curious how the G5N compares to the old mid-tier equivalents, such as the HD500, GT100 and Eleven Rack. Has anyone made a comparison?

My suspicion is that technological progress will lift up some surprising outcomes over time, and this might be one of them.

GuitarGuru83

Go for the Amplifire! Its a little more but its an incredible piece of equipment and sounds great via FRFR, plus you can load IRs

eman22

To my mind G5n in an FRFR application superior to

Gt-001 which I owned and has the same engine as GT-100 and I assume similar to GT-1
Eleven rack which I owned and used extensively
Atomic amplifier which I owned for almost a year
Also better than rp1000 and 500 which I also owned

There is a "grind" / power in the way it attacks and sustains that is not present in the other devices.
Dead easy to dial in good sounds
Only gap is loading your own IRs but honestly, their cab models can be quickly tweaked to get the tone you want.
Does have some processing limitations but I've worked around those easily. I believe this is because of the detail provided by amp sims, cab models and some other fx...reverb and drive. For lack of a better description, 3D vs. 2D.

Looper makes it easy to dial in patches
A lot of cool and unique effects for ambient stuff
Built in drums are good for practice
End of the day, IMHO, it sounds and feels better

jimfist

IMO, what you get with the G5n is a solid representative selection of amp models, cab sims, and general effects. I think they put a lot of effort into upgrading the algorithms of comparatively limited amp/cab/fx available, and I think they do sound better than the "3/5/Xon" series that uses their previous set of algorithms. I think the amp models sound good. Some of them sound really good. Unless you're going to consider the more expensive modelers, I really think it's a matter of work flow and personal taste, whether you think other modelers in the sub-$400 price range are any better or worse sounding. To my ears, the G5n is absolutely workable for gigging as an all-in-one device, again, depending on you're sonic and physical needs and tastes.

I also think that this pedal was designed to be really, really easy to program, understand, and tweak. Some view the limitations (no MIDI, no flexible routing options, no menu diving, etc.) as being a negative. I own and gigged with the more sophisticated, pricey stuff, and thus appreciate that the G5n is extremely intuitive and dead simple to start creating patches with almost no need to consult the owner's manual (although you really should). It's great at rehearsal and on the gig. You can get around your stomps and sound changes fairly easily and with decent flexibility. I'm very happy with my purchase, and gig with it all the time.

Go for the Amplifire! Its a little more but its an incredible piece of equipment and sounds great via FRFR, plus you can load IRs
Amplifire is *double* the price of the G5N in Australia. And, believe it or not, I'm not sure I want to go down the rabbit hole of loading IRs. I want decent tone but I want to play, not endlessly audition IRs and tweak.

eman22

I've used iRs with digitech 1101 and amplifire. On amplifire I often ended up using stock ones.

Eleven rack AND G5n both use convolution technology for cabs...but can't load IRs.

The mic and hi / lo eqs in the cabinet section of the G5n, coupled with smart use of the various on board reverbs and delays.....(hint I often use ping pong delay)....and I can really dial in the tone I want without rolling through gobs of IRs.

Put the loop first in the chain, lay down something close to what you are going to play.....put the guitar down, dial in you sound....turn off the loop and play. I haven't missed custom/personal IRs yet.

I keep saying this....not explaining in a good way...but the g5n sounds like a guitar amp cabinet longer than anything else out there as the note/chords ring out except I assume axe and kemper and maybe helix....the initial punch and mostly the power, growl, and sustain are there in spades, I assume because of higher resolution. I can't say the amps are spot on but I'm not trying to dial in an amp, I'm trying to dial in a sound and I can get there easily with G5n.

Jimmyno

I have a KPA and the G5n.
While the first is indeed superior in tone, dynamics and transparency, I can definitely get great tones form the Zoom.
The cab section is really powerful, since the hi-low eq, plus the opportunity to mix the two microphones gives you a ton of refining options.
A bit compressed, sure, but it is another league if compared to the Pod HD line.

john lan

can you guys upload youtube videos or mp3 with the g5n? no drums and backround just the sounds you like
It would help "convincing"

I have a KPA and the G5n.
While the first is indeed superior in tone, dynamics and transparency, I can definitely get great tones form the Zoom.
The cab section is really powerful, since the hi-low eq, plus the opportunity to mix the two microphones gives you a ton of refining options.
A bit compressed, sure, but it is another league if compared to the Pod HD line.
Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a threat to my wallet.

Technica

I do not have a G5n but I do have a G5, Eleven Rack, HD500, GT-100, RP500, 1000, 360...

I think the G5 sounds either on-par with, or better than all of them for moderate-to-high gain sounds. I've always really enjoyed the tones from my G5, especially with the tube booster thickening it up. I have no complaints at all about it, and I never find myself tweaking it to look for better tones. The clean tones on the G5 are excellent, along with the chorus, reverbs, and delays.

I think of all of them I listed, the GT-100 has overall the best effects. But the Zoom is not lacking, except that I wish it had a stereo chorus with left-right panning. That would make it sound huge.

I do not like the clean tones I get out of my HD500. As a matter of fact, I think the cleans on even the Fender Blackface model is weak and poor. I also don't particularly care for the chorus either. It's a very flexible unit though... Sometimes too flexible.

I love using the RP1000 with the four-cable setup. In an FRFR situation, its amp models are quite old and pretty weak. It has good effects though. Eleven Rack also sounds great, but is very limited in flexibility and the amount of effects and amp models you get. I also think the G5 sounds better in most FRFR situations.

If you need effects only, I think the GT-100 is the winner. However, the COSM amp models have a unique tonality to them when using them with the included cabinets in FRFR speakers. Some people dislike it, some like it. You would have to decide there, but I like how it amp models sound.

Of all I listed, I think the G5 is the best all-around unit that has no real vices, save for the pedalboard limitations. The G5n is supposed to be superior to the G5, and Zoom is releasing news and effects for it constantly, whereas all the other units I listed are effectively end-of-life and will almost certainly not get anymore updates. Well, you can pay $100 to get more amp models for the HD500...

Jimmyno

Hmm, that sounds like a bit of a threat to my wallet.
Well, english is not my mother tongue so I didn't get what you mean.
Just to clarify: not comparing the KPA and the Zoom. They are in a complete different league for tone, dynamics, transparency and, obviously, price.
I'm just telling that the G5n can deliver some good tones on clean, crunch and distorted tones, far superior to the G3 and the Pod Hd series.
My 2 cents.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Well, english is not my mother tongue so I didn't get what you mean.
Just to clarify: not comparing the KPA and the Zoom. They are in a complete different league for tone, dynamics, transparency and, obviously, price.
I'm just telling that the G5n can deliver some good tones on clean, crunch and distorted tones, far superior to the G3 and the Pod Hd series.
My 2 cents.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
No misunderstanding! I meant that your comments might lead to me having to buy the G5N. Thanks for your thoughts.

JefeMaximo

Huge Member
If I were choosing from the options you listed, I'd definitely go with the G5n. All of these options have their limitations, but I find it easier to dial in a solid amp tone with the Zoom. I found the other units to sound tinny or artificial, and/or they took endless tweaking to get things just right, and that adding one effect to an otherwise good sounding preset screwed things up.

I find the weakest link in the G5n to be the drives. A couple of them are good, but they're not on par with a good analog pedal. Some of the drives work very well, however, as an always-on option in front of an amp sim. I do this for almost all of my Fender amp presets. I'd also recommend that you tweak the Zoom using your ears, not necessarily using the description of the virtual hardware. For example, you might get a great Deluxe Reverb tone with a 4x12 cabinet sim, even though the actual amp is a 1x12.

john lan

oh kempler vs g5n would be interesting if played from the same person, same guitar
I am waiting for the clips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmyno

So I made a very quick overview of the amps.
None to a very little tweaking on the amps settings as they come as soon as you select them from the interface.
None on the cab. Only a bit (5% decay and 7% mix) of early reflections reverb and not a single effect in the chain.

I have played my Frankenstrat: swamp ash body, roasted maple neck/fingerboard, both from USA CG, Gotoh 510 bridge, Zexcoil hum bucker in the bridge, Suhr V60LP middle and neck.
I have been monitoring with my InEar SD-2S, so the guitar didn't have the benefit of air pushed by a speaker. This affects the tone in a negative way IMHO.

eman22

If I were choosing from the options you listed, I'd definitely go with the G5n. All of these options have their limitations, but I find it easier to dial in a solid amp tone with the Zoom. I found the other units to sound tinny or artificial, and/or they took endless tweaking to get things just right, and that adding one effect to an otherwise good sounding preset screwed things up.

I find the weakest link in the G5n to be the drives. A couple of them are good, but they're not on par with a good analog pedal. Some of the drives work very well, however, as an always-on option in front of an amp sim. I do this for almost all of my Fender amp presets. I'd also recommend that you tweak the Zoom using your ears, not necessarily using the description of the virtual hardware. For example, you might get a great Deluxe Reverb tone with a 4x12 cabinet sim, even though the actual amp is a 1x12.
Totally agree here, although the TS, red crunch are quite nice.
Listen to your ears, great advice!

john lan

nice playing jimmyno

to me it sounds like old digital modelling, does not fool me but some were better then others
generally the higher the gain the more noticeable is the artificial modelling
but you do get different character amps sounds

Jimmyno

Always consider that it costs €300 and I have done no tweaking.
You cannot get miracles, but i can tell you that some tweaking and volume (this is an huge part, no contest), you can nail robust tones.
Otherwise you can go for the KPA :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom