How does this setup look?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cocheese, Mar 2, 2005.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

As you guys know, I've been gathering info over the past few months about a new PC-based recording rig. I'm mainly going tobe recording guitars and vocals. I'm still looking for opinions on my list, but here's what I've come up with so far:

Card: Lynx 2 (but which one?)

Software: Cubase SX3 or Samplitude Classic

Preamp: FMR RNP and/or Great River 1-NV

Compressor: FMR RNC

Mics: E609 & already have Beta 57's with AT4050, AKG414 (vintage spec one), Neumann U87 condensers

Computer: either a custom made deal OR my Dell 2.4 Ghz machine. (I need help on this one!)

Is there anything I'm missing besides the items mentioned above?

Thanks again for all of the help here. You guys have been GREAT! :)

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Looks excellent, from here (assuming some extra drives/basic audio optimization for your Dell 2.4 GHz machine). Dedicated machine not a necessity at this point in time, imo, if it's not bloated with a lot of stuff.

3. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Thanks Bassomatic. I'll take that info into consideration when 'm getting things set up.

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Lynx is a brand. The Lynx2 is one of their very best models. Shootouts of audio cards have shown the Lynx2 is as good quality-wise as any device used to test it with.

I have a Dell Dimension 2.4Ghz, and it works pretty good other than the fact some of the parts are unreliable, like the power supply that just failed a month after the one-year warranty ran out. I wouldn't put a nice card like a Lynx2 in a Dell. I'd either buy a custom-built DAW to put it in, or build one myself.

During the second quarter this year Intel will be releasing their new dual-core 64-bit processors. The speed will probably be equivalent to a 5Ghz cpu, but the real gain is being able to use them with a 64-bit OS and 64-bit software. A 64-bit OS will be able to access hundreds of megabytes of memory which will eliminate the need to stream data from the hard drive. Sample rates of 192K and higher will soon be a matter of routine, and not a problem for the new processors to keep up with.

5. sosomething

sosomething Member

Why wait? AMD has been making 64-bit processors for almost a year now. All Intel did was reverse-engineer AMD's design to begin work on their own.

6. workinstiff

workinstiff Member

As far as a DELL goes check the no. PCI slots on the board.
    If you're looking a UAD cards and the like... you might come up short. I've got DELL 47 somthing, that I use for soft synths ...works fine but with two hard drives installed, there wasn't enough room for powercore card....I'll have re-arrange the drives

Steve

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

I am looking at almost that exact setup, except that I want to run it on a Mac with Logic Express. I wonder how well the Lynx II works with the Mac? I am also going to get the RNP, and RNC in the rack mounted enclosure. I have a 57 and an e609, but am still deciding on a condenser mic (looking at AT4050, and the Soundelux U195). I also have a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors, and a Mackie 1402 mixer.

I was going to do something like an RME Fireface, or a Motu, but from other opinions I have heard from numerous boards, I will get better results with this setup. Any additional opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    B

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is something I'm struggling with right now. I'd like the flexibility of a software based recording system, but I need at times to have 8 or more inputs (for tracking a band live). I've been looking at some of the things like the Digi boards and Pro Tools LE, but most of what I've seen seems very scary with errors crashes and endless trouble shooting, even on macs. On that basis I've almost decided to stay with the small format hard disc recorders (like the Yamaha AW4416) even though I give up the 96/192 kHz capability. Are there any software/hardware combos that'll do 8 tracks at once and are rock solid?