How does Timmy compare to COT 50

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BrewGuitar, Jun 13, 2008.

1. BrewGuitar

BrewGuitar Member

Or other drives? I have a COT 50 on order, but am very interested in the Timmy. Meanwhile, I have an eternity and OCD, so I am wondering if Timmy would be redundant or complimentary to the ODs I have.

2. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Its been a while since I owned a COT, but I have Timmy right now. My memory, COT has more mids, is a bit more compressed, sounds great though. Timmy is more versatile and has a much larger range of applications.

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Well , I will tell you the Cot 5o eternity combo is a match made in heaven....

It seems they are voiced to be perfect together.....you'll see what I mean when you get them together and try a few settings....

The utlimate two channel OD box ( like a fulldrive or KOT ) would be an Eternity and Cot 5o in the same encloser......that would be cool....

The cot 50 is a loud pedal by the way....I have both the regular cot and cot gold....I gig with the cot gold to control the volume a bit ( but the regular cot has a bit more depth and harmonic richness, so that's the trade off )

4. BrewGuitar

BrewGuitar Member

I actually have the COT Gold on order. Is there a significant loss of harmonics and depth as compared to the regular COT.:worried I was hoping it had all the goodness of the regular one, but a bit more versatile. Also, what setting on the gold is comparable to the regular?

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Man, your like me :) !!! I get paranoid about stuff like that as well......

Trust me they both sound fantastic !!! I shouldn't have written my comment without furthur explanation.... the regular cot sounds a bit juicier because it hits the amp harder...because you cant dial down the volume on it ( except with the volume on your guitar and it cleans up nicely )

When you turn up the volume on the cot gold it sounds just as good as the regular cot 50 and cleans up exactly the same !! Really, just the same !! And it nice to be able to turn down the volume and dial back the highs a bit with the cot gold when needed....it makes it a more versatile pedal IMO.

It sounds just like a regulat cot to me with the volume at about 2 to 3 o clock , the tone around 10 o clock and the bias at about 10 o clock.

No worries man - I think you'll love the pedal. I own both the regular cot and the cot gold and my cot gold is the only one that see's gig time ( and i'm very anal about my tone.....)

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

The COT is a great pedal but works much better with an amp that's already breaking up. Into a clean amp that pedal is LOUD. I went with the Timmy over the COT as it is much more versatile with the volume, gain, treble, and bass plus internal DIP switches to choose either symetrical or asymetrical clipping wheres the COT has just the one Bias knob for adjusting the dirt. I would think the COT Gold would be more desirable with the added volume knob so either pedal would be a fine choice.

7. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Tim/COT stack me likey.

8. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

The COT Gold is cool with the EQ control and the master volume but it definitely does not have the same harmonic depth or tone as the COT 50. I had them both and AB'd them and the COT 50 was the keeper, hands down. I got the Gold thinking it would sound exactly like the 50 with the volume and EQ but it doesn't (at least not in my rig). That being said The volume boost/brightness issue is definitely there but you can control some of that with your guitar's volume. That's kinda what makes the COT 50 so cool. I found I could dial the Timmy in very close to the COT. For some stupid reason I sold my Timmy, but I have another one on order from Paul C. I don't think I'll be letting it go this time.