How does Twin clean match up to princeton?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jrbanjo, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

I have a silverface Princeton whose clean sound I think is the best there is. But, not enough power for gigs for me.

How would say the clean sound on a twin is compared to a princeton? Are they similar?

I have a vibrolux and it's clean is markedly different from the princeton - would the twin get closer. Again, I LOVE the princeton's clean.

2. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

UPDATE: I just did a 3 way test with a Princeton (silver face, not sure on the year), a Vibrolux Custom Shop, and a HRD 410.

PRINCETON wins hands down for sound. Best and most defined clean sound of the 3...am wondering if the twin gets a similar magical clean but would provide the power needed for gigging.

Vlux has a mid rangey sound that sounds killer with the TS9 but the clean is not as nice as the Princeton.

HRD sounds pretty good but just sounds a little harsh - but the Vlux and the Princeton just have better sound.

So wow, can I get that Princeton clean in a bigger wattage?

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

You ain't seen clean until you've played a Twin. Do not try to push one into overdrive unless you have ear plugs, or whatever, you should have hearing protection. It is very difficult also to equate what two 12" speakers put out for sound at the same volume as a 10" speaker, but it is a fullness the princeton can only dream of duplicating. Then there is just volume until your face splits and begins to slide off your skull, and finally some hint of snarl. Most every sentient creature within 300 feet have slouched off to huddle their swaddled heads in the quietest places they can find. Except the drummer, who's smelling his armpit, wondering if the sound is coming from there.:rotflmao

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

There is no Fender clean better than a real Twin. They're just so big, heavy and darned loud. I played a twin for about 2/3 years back in my 20s when volume and weight didn't matter. I now play a Fender combo that I can carry in one hand and will not hurt my 44 y/o back. The sound is Fender-y and I am happy.

5. mds

mds Member

A Twin is loud, but in my opinion sounds nowhere near as good as a Princeton Reverb. The PR is pretty much my favorite Fender amp.

6. AEROSNIFF

AEROSNIFF Member

If you like the sound of your Princeton through a mic in front of it.

7. cosmodog

cosmodog Member

Agree that the Twin, in many cases, is "the" clean sound, at least in the Fender camp. However, it's not the same as the Princeton. If you love the Princeton and just want it louder at a gig, mic it.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Twins are not so hard to find in a music store.
    Trot your P in with you and A/B.

9. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

Fender's Twin (in all it's incarnations) defines "clean". I had a BF Princeton (non reverb) and it's clean tone, it's trem nor it's high volume overdriven tone did a thing for me. If you are happy with your tone, that's alllll that matters. Enjoy your Princeton!

10. aflynt

aflynt Member

The Twin has a similarly satisfying character to the sound where you can dig in and feels kind of elastic. You're not likely to get a similar breakup out of it, though. Just comparing the clean sounds alone would be somewhat similar to comparing a Kangaroo Mouse to an actual Kangaroo. It's a much bigger sound that covers more frequencies (especially lows and low mids) and (obviously) goes much louder.

-Aaron

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've had them all, mostly nice BF examples. I love the Princeton Reverb tone over the Twin (too clean) but I LOVE the clean tones of the Vibrolux Reverb the best. I sounds like a bigger Princeton to me.

12. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

The opening question should have read, How does Princeton clean match up to Twin Reverb?

Never mind that the proper answer is, "No contest---nothing matches up to Twin Reverb clean!"

;)

13. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Folks, I love the cleans on a Twin. Always have, always will. It's hard to beat if you need a high headroom, beefy, sparkly clean.

But a Princeton is no slouch. Despite the fact that the sound similar, I think a Princeton feels better. It has amazing bloom and bounce - not too saggy, not too tight. I think of it as having a similar voice to a Twin, but sweeter and more nuanced.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  14. chillytc

chillytc Member

:agree

15. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

:agree

I've pretty much retired my other amps since I got my VR. Mine's a '72 SF, but I think it sounds great. It's the perfect gigging amp for me. Perfect size, great sound, and loves my Zendrive.

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

That's the amp I was going to recommend, just a great rig.

17. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've actually been playing both together the last few days. Both are early seventies and the PI sections have been bf'd. Both have JBL K's in them. The twin is half power with one twelve. Running both on about 3 side by side they are very similar. The PR is of course slightly boxier. Running the PR on 7-8 and the twin at 4, the PR is (obviously) breaking up and more compressed. The twin has a way bigger sound at the same volume and a whole lot more upper end treble range. There is never any 'boxie' sound coming from a twin.

I think ten minutes into a set with a band, using the right amp for the right room/volume, you'd likely forget all about which you were playing through.

18. tubedude

tubedude Member

I love my late 70's princton reverb. Going to start gigging with it. I bought a Marshall class5 extension cab to piggy back the the princeton. 16 ohm cab not a perfect impedence match but I think it will be ok. Old fender amps are pretty tough

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Also consider finding a Pro Reverb. One of Fender's best ever.

20. jrbanjo

jrbanjo Member

Except the drummer, who's smelling his armpit, wondering if the sound is coming from there.:rotflmao[/QUOTE]

NICE!!! LOL! Dang drummers! love them/hate them