How does ur band set up when rehearsing?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by saneff, Feb 22, 2015.

1. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

What I mean by the question, is do you arrange yourselves and your gear like you would be on stage? Or do you face each other like in a circle and if so how do you face your amps etc? Just started my first band, and I just can't figure out the best way. We have a perfect practice area which is a commercial building I own. We have all the space we could ever need, and we can be as loud as we want. But we are practicing without any floor monitors for now or any IEMs and it's hard to hear very well. We have a nice PA and mixer and gear. There are 4 of us right now: me the lead guitar player and sometimes singer, our rhythm guitar player and lead singer/frontman, bass player, and drummer. Right now the 3 guitar guys are basically turned facing the drummer with our amps right behind us. The amps are not pointed at the other guys really, but they are facing the drummer I guess.

How do you and your band do it? What's the best way?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Due to the fact that our rehearsal studio has a permanently ( and badly placed) installed drum riser, we are set up as we would be on stage except that we are facing the drummer instead of facing out.

3. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Drummer on back wall...bass player & myself facing the drummer. Ideally, I would prefer to be setup like at a gig, but unfortunately, there's not enough space. However, I feel lucky to have a rehearsal space in general. :)

4. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Usually in a circle - makes communication and eye contact easier while we work on material. Although being English, there is a vital preliminary step: we put the kettle on.

5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Kind of like on stage but in more of a semi circle so it's easier to communicate.

6. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

We set up in the same area as we would on stage, but we all face each other in the middle.

Jeff

7. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Basement room. Facing each other.

8. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Same here. You'd think it would facilitate eye contact, but we're always having to remind each other about that. I know I tend to get in my own head a bit.

9. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

I've gotten much better. In the band I was in 10 year's ago i was staring at my fretboard. Now I'm looking all over the place and really enjoy the people watching.

10. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Considering you are just using mains I would set up semi circle around the drummer with the mains opposite/facing the mics, or in other words not behind them.

11. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

But wouldn't that cause feedback? We are having occasional issues with that.

And for you guys that are in a circle facing each other, do you do the same with your amps? In other words they are directly behind you facing each other too?

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

In a semi circle...or actually more of a wide crescent with the singer in the middle...which is the same way we set up on stage. It's important to see each other.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Brother, I don't care what anyone says, you can have microphones directly facing speakers and still not have feedback. First off, it's rehearsal, turn everything down. Secondly, IMO, skip the mains and run only monitors. As in wedges on the floor.

If, like me, your space is as large as some of the clubs you play, disregard what I just said and set up as you would normally.

14. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

We are practicing for the stage so we set up just like the stage

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Basement. Semicircle facing the drummer. I personally prefer setting up like a gig but no big deal.

16. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Rehearsing? try in a circle so everyone can see each other and learn to cue one another. make sure everyone can hear everything, it's really important. Put your singer in the middle because he's going to have to get used to singing with amps blaring at him. It's a universe apart from practicing at home and if you play live you want to sound good.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

This is my opinion, so relax.

It's best to rehearse the same way you are going to play at a gig. It's also a bad plan to be looking at each other for visual cues. Visual cues are unnecessary and not often/always practical. We practiced in total darkness for a few weeks and virtual darkness for months.

18. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

Ditto, less the kettle.

19. monty

monty Member

Same here.

20. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

I may not have been clear, the speakers are not to be placed behind the players (who would be facing into the mics), but pointing at the faces of the players who are singing into mics. Like monitors more or less, which in reality they will be. Since you will not be using floor monitors, and are not playing to a crowd out front, all PA is for your benefit.

Up on poles or on the floor, however you want them. Floor is fine, you will hear them as long as they are a bit back from you (unless you are playing entirely too loud).

I am used to, for several decades now, hearing my sound from behind me so that's were I put my rig. A bandmate may request more of it, in that case point it more his/her way. Easy.

When people set up in a circle, and are close to their own amps, they are often hearing less of their amp than whoever is across the circle from them. Gotta watch out for that. Why I say to use a semi circle.

And as I got more time into it, my practice volume level went down. May be different for you, you guys may want it more like a live gig with the bullets flying. So that would play into how you set up. If you want it to be like a gig, with gig volume levels, I would say set up like it's a gig. Except you could still set the PA facing the band, and use that as monitors.