How does Valveboy compare with Badcat Two-tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimmyR, Sep 14, 2006.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

What with all the demos around here with Fatback (I think) and his Valveboy, I'm curious to know how the Valveboy sounds compared to the Badcat pedal. I used to own a Two-tone and liked it a lot. Anybody played both?

TIA!

2. fatback

fatback Member

I had a Two-tone for a little while. The Valveboy is much more compressed and doesn't pack near the punch of the Badcat, which seemed to overwhelm my Blackface Fenders. I've heard cool tones from the Badcat screaming through a Mesa Heartbreaker and a 50 watt plexi, but I much prefered the reigned in sound of the Valveboy with my Deluxe and Princetons, (6v6's).

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Cool - thanks for answering! I actually much prefer less compressed ODs so I may just end up with another Two-tone one day. Mine sounded really good into a SRRI. I replaced it with a Menatone Working Man's Blue which I still love, but I find myself hankering for the Two-tone.

And I really don't like to hanker.

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I was actually thinking something like a Valveboy might help out with my low volume practice issues.

Even a small valve amp gets so loud at the point where it starts to sweeten.

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Realfi,

So true! Everything just sounds rubbish until you find the spot where the tone starts to sweeten. Then even all of my amps (15W, 18W &22W) are already rather loud. I too have been wondering if the valveboy could be the cure to my problems. Fatback, does it sound good, on say a small Fender tube combo, with the volume at 1 and a tad?

6. fatback

fatback Member

Teddy, that's about how I use my Valveboy at home, with a Princeton on 2.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Cheers Fatback,

Is the Princeton loud at 2? I find my Deluxe Reverb rather loud for bedroom stuff already then. If my wife's out I play at about 4. If she's home it's about 1 1/3. Pedals don't sound too good like that though...

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I haven't owned the two-tone but the valve boy is a really great sounding pedal. I've owned mine for a while and it's stayed when other OD pedals have come and gone. It reminds me of my boogie mk1 amp but not quite. It has that smooth compressed sustain but is tonally different, sort of like if Warren Haynes asked Mike Soldano build him a better boogie, it might sound like this, if that makes any sense.