How does Way Huge Fat Sandwich compare to EMMA Reezafratzitz?

KBN

So I have an EMMA Reezafratzitz 2 and really love it. It is the best distortion box I've ever used. However, I'm looking for something a little more overdrive-y at the moment. I thought about going back to a Zvex Distortron, but am interested in the Fat Sandwich as well. Can anyone compare / contrast the Reeza and the Fat Sandwich?

Thanks.

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't played a Reezafratzitz. The Fat Sandwich is pretty solidly in the distortion camp, not something I imagine as overdrive. [Then again, some folks' 'clean' tones are pretty gnarly.] The FS gas two gain stages, and one can be dialed back internally. That still leaves it a bit high-gain and compressed for an overdrive, at least for me. It's a nice distortion pedal though.

Edit: I pulled out my FS to check. Dialing the gain and the second stage back, I supposed that it could be used as an overdrive, albeit a fairly gained-up one. It has a lot of harmonic content and some touch sensitivity, can clean up with volume or lighter attack. With a clean amp, it's sort of like a dimed smaller amp (except for no mush), and the gain only goes up from there. Cool pedal. Had it for years, but don't use it a lot.

Edit 2: Describing tone can be problematic. So, a demo by Tal Morris:

Last edited:
I love my Reezafratzitz! I haven't tried the Way Huge pedal, but what do you mean "overdrive-y"? I'm guessing you're not looking for an actual overdrive pedal like a Tubescreamer.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I have both.

I have no idea how to compare them other than to say that they are both distortion pedals each with its own flavor of distortion.

The Emma ReezaFRATzitz v2 is, to me, an all-time great distortion pedal. It is just so good... I hadn't played the Fat Sandwich in, literally, years - the last time was probably in Feb 2014, after buying it as a Stupid Deal Of The Day for $79.99. But this post prompted me to find it and plug it in; it sounds much better than I remember!

But not nearly as good as the ReezaFRATzitz v2. But of course that's a subjective evaluation.

KBN

I love my Reezafratzitz! I haven't tried the Way Huge pedal, but what do you mean "overdrive-y"? I'm guessing you're not looking for an actual overdrive pedal like a Tubescreamer.
Great question. I should have clarified this in my first post. I find the Reeza to be a little too scooped and has more sizzle on the top end than I want. I tend to run the bass and treble knobs low to bring out the mids. For added context, I play through a Reeves Custom 50 and my other drives are a Lovepedal Amp 11 and a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine mk2. I find myself desiring more midrange focus than the Reeza. I also don't need as much gain as is available. I'm usually only at 9 or 10 o'clock on the drive knob. So, would you all say that the Fat Sandwich is capable of providing this? I haven't found one locally to actually give it a go in person

You might want to check out the JHS Andy Timmons pedal. The middle setting (supposedly like a 100 watt amp) may suit your needs. That setting doesn't seem quite as gainy as the other settings, although there is still a good bit of gain available, and the pedal has plenty of mids and highs.

Trending Topics