• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How does wide frets alter the feel of your guitar?

purestmonk

I have played some narrow-width and wider-width frets. I have made this observation: With wider-width frets, the scale length SEEMS to be shorter. For example, if I like a 24 3/4 scale length, I might be able to achieve this feel more with a 25 1/2 scale with wide frets compare to 25.5 with narrow frets.

Anyone share this common experiece?

I agree that long but not necessarily high frets ( like a G + L ) are quite different in feel from a vintage but tall fret (such as comes stock on an Allparts TMO-FAT, SMO-FAT).

But a 24.75 scale neck doesn't feel like the next village over, but like a foreign world.
To my fingers and hands.

dazco

i find height makes worlds more difference than width. Width to me had a different feel than vintage frets, but i don't feel like the scale is shorter. But height, theres a world of difference there. Vintage frets that are low make the action feel a lot lower than tall frets. Even if the action is exactly the same on both it feels that way because your fingers don't touch the wood, which could be a advantage or disadvantage depending on the person. I prefer low and have no issues bending on low frets, but they offer a feel i like more.

gadzooka

I have a late 60's ES-335 (short scale) with wide frets. The fretboard feels a bit crowded up on the high octave frets.

purestmonk

I have a late 60's ES-335 (short scale) with wide frets. The fretboard feels a bit crowded up on the high octave frets.
yeah, that's what i mean, but just that im feeling it all over the fretboard.
i have 2 24.75" guitars and one with wider and shorter frets. This guitar definitely feels like it has a shorter scale length, albeit both having the same scale length technically

purestmonk

I prefer low and have no issues bending on low frets, but they offer a feel i like more.
same here! I have yet tried jumbo frets though. Im feeling that tall and wide frets would be great! I like the feel of shorter frets, like yourself, cheers!