How does wide frets alter the feel of your guitar?

purestmonk

I have played some narrow-width and wider-width frets. I have made this observation: With wider-width frets, the scale length SEEMS to be shorter. For example, if I like a 24 3/4 scale length, I might be able to achieve this feel more with a 25 1/2 scale with wide frets compare to 25.5 with narrow frets.

Anyone share this common experiece?

I agree that long but not necessarily high frets ( like a G + L ) are quite different in feel from a vintage but tall fret (such as comes stock on an Allparts TMO-FAT, SMO-FAT).

But a 24.75 scale neck doesn't feel like the next village over, but like a foreign world.
To my fingers and hands.

dazco

i find height makes worlds more difference than width. Width to me had a different feel than vintage frets, but i don't feel like the scale is shorter. But height, theres a world of difference there. Vintage frets that are low make the action feel a lot lower than tall frets. Even if the action is exactly the same on both it feels that way because your fingers don't touch the wood, which could be a advantage or disadvantage depending on the person. I prefer low and have no issues bending on low frets, but they offer a feel i like more.

gadzooka

I have a late 60's ES-335 (short scale) with wide frets. The fretboard feels a bit crowded up on the high octave frets.

purestmonk

I have a late 60's ES-335 (short scale) with wide frets. The fretboard feels a bit crowded up on the high octave frets.

yeah, that's what i mean, but just that im feeling it all over the fretboard.
i have 2 24.75" guitars and one with wider and shorter frets. This guitar definitely feels like it has a shorter scale length, albeit both having the same scale length technically

purestmonk

I prefer low and have no issues bending on low frets, but they offer a feel i like more.

same here! I have yet tried jumbo frets though. Im feeling that tall and wide frets would be great! I like the feel of shorter frets, like yourself, cheers!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom