How easy is it to get around Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jpervin, Mar 23, 2015.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

Supposedly, this is one of the busiest airports in the US.
    Is it easy to get around, a PITA, or somewhere in the middle?

BTW, I have to fly from Atlanta to Philly on 4/2 (Southwest Airlines).

2. PBC

PBC Member

It depends on what question you are asking. Getting around inside the airport? Pretty simple really, the tram will take you to all the terminals. Getting around the area outside the airport? Well that all depends on a few things, what time of day is it? where are you going? are you driving or taking public transportation (MARTA)? What's the weather like (seriously, this has an effect on how people drive here)?

3. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Flying through ATL isn't difficult, if that's what you mean. It's a big airport, and while I always manage to land at a terminal on the opposite side of the airport from my connecting flight, the navigation part isn't hard. There's a tram, moving walkways, etc. Afraid I have no experience driving there or going through TSA.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I've never had a problem.. been there a bunch of times

5. jpervin

jpervin Member

I'm interested in what the parking areas are like (especially the remote lots) and ease of getting around inside the terminal(s) once you're inside.

6. cameron

cameron Member

I've worked in the Atlanta area on several assignments over the years. Getting from concourse to concourse in the airport is quite easy. There's a nice train that shuttles back and forth between the concourses.

I have no experience navigating the parking lots; I've only ever been either to the taxi stands or the rental car places.

Traffic in the Atlanta metro area in general can be horrendous, though. It's much worse than New York, and that's despite New York having all those bridges and tunnels that act as natural choke points.

7. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

This. Not a difficult place to get around in.

I've taken a couple of commuter short-hoppers from there where the gates were in not-so-obvious places (eg. through a door, down the stairs, "this can't be right" around the corner and there it is).

Also, Hartsfield covers a lot of real estate, so take that into account.

8. PBC

PBC Member

The remote or off-site lots are the way to go IMO. I utilize Peachy Airport Parking located off Camp Creek Pkwy, they have indoor and outdoor parking, onsite car wash and shuttles to and from the airport. The longest I've ever had to wait on a shuttle was less than 5 min and no I don't work for them.
    once inside the airport be sure to leave time to get through TSA as the lines can back up during busy hours. there are plenty of shops and places to eat or grab a drink. Like I said in my earlier post the tram will take you anywhere you want to go. Almost all of my flights begin and end out of Hartsfield and it's my favorite airport by far.