How fast do you go through picks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smow09, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Smow09

Smow09 Member

After reading different threads, I am amazed at how some people go through picks. Personally I don't really tear up picks very often; I will go through celluloid the quickest, then tortex, and then if I play really aggressive I can rough up nylon. But even with celluloid in a practice setting it might take me a week to make very noticeable changes, maybe longer.

I was curious how quickly other forum members go through picks, maybe list what material you like and how long it lasts for you. I'm particularly interested in the guys that use heavier gauge Gravity and vpick acrylic picks. I have a few and wonder what kind of life span they have. Any other boutique pick guys can chime in too.

2. p.j.

p.j. Member

I tend to lose them before they they wear out. I have bought a few pretty expensive picks over the years and have no idea where they have ended up.

I do know that the vacuum cleaner and picks are sworn enemies.

3. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I've used Gravity picks on all my guitars for at least the last year and a half. For my acoustic I use one of their clear .75mm Strikers in the Standard size. These will last me a good 4 or 5 months before the pointed tips are starting to get rounded. I'll replace them with a new one at that point, but they're still usable for longer than that (I just like that snappy attack of the unworn sharp tip). For my electrics I've been using the Stealth model in Big Mini size, 3mm thickness. I think I can see just a little bit of rounding of the tips in one or two of these picks after about that same length of time, but it's hard to see, and playability is not affected yet at all. I expect them to last at least another half a year or so.

I just started using one of the new Gravity Gold Series picks (2.5mm Sunrise model, Big Mini) and from what I'm hearing about them I don't expect any wear from it for a long, long time.

As you might have guessed, I hardly ever lose a pick.

4. Birddog

Birddog Member

I use nylon thins and celluloid thins. I'd say on average I get about 2 hours of playing per pick. I play rock for me, and country in a band that gigs once per month. I've gone through significantly more picks playing country on my tele where the style tends to be more percussive than I do playing rock or blues on my les paul. At our country gigs, in four hours I usually trash a half-dozen picks.

5. sleewell

sleewell Member

Sharpen them back up on carpet.

Losing them is more of an issue. Haha

6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I haven't worn out a pick in years. I tend to lose them before wearing them out.

7. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

ultex sharps last for weeks. my tortex III's wear out in a few days. I tend to use the ultex's more nowdays

8. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

V-Picks for me. They last for months with daily playing.

9. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

just once I'd like to wear out a pick before losing it.

10. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Started using Herdims (nylon) and they seem pretty indestructible - and harder to lose as they are bright blue :aok

Shortest life picks i ever tried were wooden ones someone pursuaded me to buy a couple of years ago. Sound/ effect was kind of interesting but wore them out in days :rolleyes: Before the Herdims i was using standard Dunlop plastic picks but generally medium to heavy guage and they would last months, though started to wear down after 6-7 months (assuming i didnt lose them....)

11. wetordry

wetordry Member

Week or maybe two, with the clayton 38mm that has 3 corners.

12. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

i started using the jazz 3 style chicken picks they dont wear at all... and sound fantastic.

13. Guitarman19853

Guitarman19853 Member

I can use a pick about 6 times (a rehearsal/gig etc) before it's rounded enough that I notice. I use the Maxx Grip Jazz III's. I also flip the pick around and use the grip section to get the "Edge" pick attack thing. I can only do that about 3 times before the dimples wear off in the area that I pick with and have to grab a new one.

I go through a lot of picks.

14. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

It's pretty rare that I keep a pick long enough to wear it out (Fender medium celluloid). When it does it is not so much the tip that bothers me, it is the fact that the pick becomes rounded and sort of moulds to the shape of my thumb and forefinger. At first this is really nice, but after it bends too much it becomes a bit awkward.

15. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

try out some chicken picks you could be saving money

16. bluflames

bluflames Member

I use 11 gauge strings which might have something to do with it. I get about an hour of solid play before I start to notice the edges wearing down on my ultex jazz iiis- but I keep playing them for months anyway just because I can't justify buying a pack of picks a day... At that point I might as well start smoking again it gets so expensive haha

17. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

I wear out 3 fender extra heavy picks at practice, about 2 1/12 hrs long. I've tried v picks and a slew of others and the fenders work best for me despite wearing them down so much.

18. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

I recommend Wegen picks. Worth every penny...

Remember when you thought cross-angled picking was the key to speed? That subtle angle was to have allowed the string to slide off the pick .. right?

Wrong! The pattern of ware on my picks told me that I was picking at too high an angle to the string. As soon as I fixed that, everything got faster and cleaner. Bluegrass moves appeared out of no where. My PUPs were no longer covered in PickDust.

Picks last forever... but I'll be damned if I can find any of them.

19. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I've never broken a pick but have lost a bunch.

20. realdealblues

realdealblues Supporting Member

I always come back to Fender Medium picks for whatever reason. I just like the attack and the feel. Occasionally I will use a Jazz 3, but that's mainly if I am playing acoustic guitar or am working on some high speed picking which wears out the Fender Mediums real quick.

In general, I usually go through 1 Fender Medium pick over the course of a 4 hour show.