How Good Are Lollars???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by la noise, Jun 16, 2013.

1. la noise

la noise Member

So..... how good are they? :huh

I am ruminating delving into the boutique pickup market and am eager to hear some personal experience about potential replacement pickups such as Lollars.

Like many, have dabbled in replacement pickups from Duncan and Dimarzio. Love the Gibby pups in my Les Paul and SG. Just wondering if the Lollars are that much better.

What could I expect if I tried out some Lollars?? Thoughts? Impressions?

Thanks! :aok

2. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Lollar is my favorite pickup maker out there, hands down.

3. daysleeper

daysleeper Member

4. la noise

la noise Member

Thanks! Any comparisons to Gibby pups worth noting??

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

quite happy with his jazz bass pickups. like my cheap 70s mij copy more than some of the mia fenders i've played. that bass just brings it now, live or on record.

as for the guitar stuff, i've heard nothing but nice things. i tried to commission something once that was based on an extant model but the cost was too high. they are also kinda pricey as it is.

6. SnotDoc

SnotDoc Member

I have lollars in two guitars, both humbuckers and single coils (blackface) and they are superb.

7. dwk302

dwk302 Member

If Lollar and not Gibson made the 57 Classics, the TPG would forth at the mouth for them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  8. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

they are excellent. he's not alone & he has good competitors but when you break down the value, service, long beard, quick ship, easy collaborator and tone sculptor guru, the reasons not to go lollar become nonexistent.

now, having said THAT. if i want filtertrons, i'm going TV JONES. tele bridge pickups, then mare gets a look. strat pickups - lollar. p90s - lollar. humbuckers - duncan. weird **** - lollar.

9. MHermans

MHermans Member

I have Lollars in most of my guitars. I love them!

I have dirty blondes in my strat. Blondes in another strat with the El Rayo hum in the bridge
    Vintage neck/ special T in my tele. Another tele with firebird/minihum combo

They're so good I want to buy another tele just so I can put Charlie Christians in it! Lol

10. la noise

la noise Member

^^Why Duncans over Lollars when it comes to Hummies?

I ask, because what I am looking at are Hummies.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i'm a fan of the duncan antiquities. they just have "that" sound. personally, if you have the money then throbaks are UNREAL. but i hate being the guy suggesting a set of hums that are so expensive. and the ants are not miles away. i like them, and feel they capture a very old school vibe. every adjective i learned on the gear page to describe humbuggies are in the duncan ants. they even smell good!

out of all the winders, i played a few lollar humbuckers that i felt were more articulate and brighter than the throbaks & ants. i have no idea what model or magnets they were.

12. tonesville

tonesville Member

I love the Imperials but they aren't a PAF type to my ears. They have a much flatter eq (no mid hump) and that makes some players call them "sterile" or "acoustic-y". I believe that's why Collings offers throwbacks now to offer the typical or "vintage" sound (I feel dirty for typing that word). I'm using antiquities now and love em-they work insanely well in hollow/semi-hollowbodies to bring out the acoustic resonances (if you want that) due to their being non-potted. The Imperials do the same.

13. mild

mild Member

I have:
    Jazzmaster vintage set - sounds great, nice and warm and classic, not too hot compared to some of the Curtis Novak stuff which is more aggressive... I love the Lollars, I prefer boosting with pedals/pre.
    Tele vintage set - just awesome. Nice and juicy and round.

Have also heard the Blackface Strat set, and that was just insane. Made me want a Strat for the first time in my life.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  14. Max_Power

Max_Power Member

I have Lollar El Rayos in my LP and love them. It turned the LP into my #1 guitar.

15. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Get some '57 Classics.

16. mecarpo

mecarpo Member

Lollar is great and so are so many others - I am loving my don mare tele pups and have for the last few years - a huge range of boutique pups available - best way to know is listening and playing. All the best on the hunt!

17. la noise

la noise Member

Thanks for all the feedback! :aok

I am going to move a couple of pedals and invest it in some pickups... and begin a whole new tone journey. :)

18. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

They are very good, and a good source for hard to find stuff.
    They are very consistent, but they are machine wound (which is one reason for their consistency).

I found that changing all my Lollars to to Ron Ellis, Don Mare, Wolfetone, and Klein Epic were big improvements.

19. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Jason makes the best single coils I've ever tried. Not so fussed on his humbuckers, but I see no point in trying other single coils after throwing them in my Strats.

20. la noise

la noise Member

^^I am looking for humbuckers, so maybe Lollars are not my best option. Not much of a Strat or Tele guy.