how good are the mic pres on the Line6 Toneport UX2?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Tubes and Strings, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Member

Compared to the traditional mackie mixers?

Compared to a MAudio DMP3?

I have the DMP3 and the Toneport UX2. I'm wondering how they compare for quality of sound.

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Bottom of the barrel, IMHO.

The best of the lower end stuff is Presonus XMAX pres, Mackie Onyx pres, and Focusrite stuff. I've never used any of the M-Audio gear with built-in pres, so I can't comment on those.

3. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Member

Anyone (boogers, maybe?) actually done an audio comparative analysis? something remotely scientific?

If not, I'd love to feedback from others who have used them compared to other stuff.

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I don't mean to sound crass, but when you plug one in and turn the gain up enough to drive a good condensor to record an acoustic guitar and you get a ton of hiss, you don't need anything more scientific than that. The Toneport stuff is very budget gear to get people into computer recording and using Line6 software.

The pres are very basic. The convertors are also low quality. You get much more for just a little more money from one of the other companies. You just have to pony up for the software (or if you happen to own a PODxt like I do, you get the software for free as long as you plug the POD in as a sort of dongle).

5. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Member

That's interesting... I experimented with one last weekend and wasn't getting any noticeable hiss. Hence, the question.