how good are the MXR Custom Shop Phase 45 & Phase 90?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spookyelectric, Feb 13, 2012.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

How good is the quality on these two phases? I'm looking to pick one up as an overall tone thickener for leads, something to give a little movement to things.

I had a block Phase 90 a while back that I did the R28 mod on and it sounded great before my distortion, but was very hissy. I'm hoping that the higher quality parts in these handwired custom shop versions mean less hiss.

2. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I have both and love them. Just picked up the phase 90 with the Analogman mods. Im not sure it thickens up my tone though.

3. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

are you using it mostly w/ clean stuff or distortion? If it's the latter, do you use it before the distortion, or after it? My best luck as a thickener (made things sound "chewy" for lack of better word) was using it before distortion.

4. zosozep7

No, I use it after dirt. Ill have to try it before!

5. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I also have both, and I run them before distortion. They are great pedals, with the 45 being a little more subtle and vibe-like.

The 90 is warmer than the regular block version, and probably quieter. I doesn't have as much of a spike to the sweep.

I also wouldn't say they "thicken" leads, but they give the tone some color and complexity that feels and sounds great. I definitely suggest either (or both) over the regular version.

6. the fat one

the fat one Senior Member

I believe that the '74 RI P90 is the best Phase 90 you can get, but to be fair to the Whirlwind I haven't given that one enough time. The '74 is noticeably smoother than the other current MXRs (script RI, block RI, EVH). I have never played an original.

The 45 RI is my next gear acquisition when funds allow. After I make my first million and I have teams of people developing signature axes and boxes of bolts for me, I want a few guitars with a P 45 circuit built in, with a knob for its rate next to my GV.

Believe!

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have a Phase 45 and it's just killer...as good if not better than my old original script 45 was!

8. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Made me think of this-

9. zosozep7

10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the '74 vs the Whirlwind since I'm strongly considering both.

The '74 I tried did have a good bit of hiss-much like turning on an overdrive pedal. It did have the sound though-all those '70's albums.