How good are you at turning FX on/off?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Mar 8, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I've been having serious problems in the last few band practices with knocking my pedal settings with my shoe. The classic small footprint pedals/big foot camel boots-syndrome. Can't wait for our spring tour to start!

I seem to hit the tone knob on my OCD everytime and also the delay time on my Memory Lane also. I´m the lead singer in pour band and need to switch many effects on the fly wihtout looking down. What should I do? Use sticky tape to hold knob positions, use sneakers?

Do you have these problems? How good are you at turning FX on/off?

2. einstein

einstein Member

be more carefull and wear pointy shooze

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Cheers! I'll get a pair of cowboy boots and a head attachable mic so I can look down all the time! Hah!

4. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

I know, cover the whole pedal board in that black goop stuff that the effects builders seem to love leaving only the buttons showing.

It'll have the added bonus of keeping your favourite settings secret so no sound-alike band manufacturers can copy Daisy!!!:)

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

That's one sound recipe I want to keep a secret!! :D :D :D :D

HAH! Good one! Yep, could goop them. Anybody use tape or something?

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

Some friends of mine have gone to the hardware store and found little rubber "o-rings" and put them on the posts of the pots... found that to provide more friction on the turns, so that they aren't as easy to bump. I'm not a singer, so I just watch my step. :)

7. Realfi

I like watching my pedals carefully too actually...anything to avoid eye contact with the singer just in case it inflates his already massive ego!!!

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Dang, I should have never sold my Digitech SGS2112 and Control One back in '99. That had no buttons to accidentally twist. What a shame... ; )

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Same band, same shoes, same problem. It sucks, bigtime. Trying to hit your pedals with your size 12 camel boot without touching the knobs aint too easy. I guess most of my problems with this can be solved by placing the pedals more carefully. Also when the spring finally gets here I can start wearing sneakers/other less massive shoes. Anyway during gigs I plan on using different shoes winter or not, 'cause I sweat like a pig anyway :)

Realfi, the goop idea is great! :D

10. Realfi

Thanks ToneRanger-gotta admit I had a chuckle as I typed that one!

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's why I built my pedal on a "rising" base (an Ikea shoe shelf)
    so the back pedals are higher...it helps a LOT...but I still have to pay attention where I put them, that the relative heights let me get to them easily.

I don't know for sure what the Camel shoes are like underneath, but if they have that "waffle pattern" watch out...I know of at least a couple different guys who did that and got stuck on the footswitch in the sole...cloming aroun don stage with a pedal embedded in your show isn't great!

I used to like Hendrix's footware...moccasins. They are comfortable, and all. Heard also of a guy that normally used just stocking feet, get the sock stuck on a pedal and actually brought him down !

12. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

+1.

I did that on my Timmy as 2 of the knobs are close to the footswitch.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Could you work with a midi-based switching system for your pedals, like the Axess Electronics GRX4?

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Replace them all with Boss pedals.

The perfect pedal design... small footprint, large switch target area, knobs impossible to knock by accident. Even when they're very close together it's difficult to accidentally switch two at once because the switches don't operate until the rocker has gone down a fair way... but it's easy to switch two at once when you do mean to.

Some things are just right :).

15. Realfi

Yep you're right they got the design of the outside of all those Boss pedals right, and with some of them they even got the inside design right too!

16. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

This brings back a hilarious memory. A few years back my wife and I caught John Fogerty on TV;this was apparently after a pretty long layoff. He had more trouble working his pedals than anyone I've ever seen:D My wife asked me what the heck he was doing it was so obvious and clumsy.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks for the replies guys!!

A midi system? Could be the answer. Really expensive though! Plus the fact that then you're confined to the sounds you've programmed. Programming every single pedal configuration takes time and finding them on a gig may take even longer!

Boss? Don't really like the sound of those pedals anymore. I got into boutique to get away from that stuff. But you are right, Boss have the best design out there considering the ease of use. I never had these problems with Boss pedals...

So, I may have to give the rubber o-rings a go. Where exactly do you fit them and what size do you use?

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I found the answer! No need to go to the hardware store either. The rubber o-rings gave me an idea. I just wound a rubber band at the stem of the control, under the knob. Stays really tight now. It's possible to change the setting but it really tight, camel boot proof! Now I'm confident in gigging with my Timmy and OCD. A little kicking shouldn't be a problem!

19. trucks

trucks Member

Maybe you should try a looper.

20. Realfi

Seeing as I was just looking at teddy boys pedalboard on another thread I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of space for a looper strip at the front of your board there.