1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How good/bad is the route 66?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I know it is not boutique but has a compressor and 808 in one dual footswitch box.

Seems like this could be two good pedals in one but am also spoile by my timmy and bb preamp.

What did you think?

2. aziltz

aziltz Member

if you like the 808, then try it. i have it, use the compressor all the time but i hate the 808 side. maybe because i run compressor after my drives and i can't reverse the 66's order. that said i haven't really been able to compare it to other 808 pedals.

the compressor however is excellent and i'm looking to replace the big pedal with just the comp 66.

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I used to have this pedal a long time ago and thought it was pretty good. A good tubescreamer and I liked the fact that the compressor had a tone knob. What I didn't like were the appearance and size. There are more versatile compressors and drives out there but it may be worth it for you to have them in the same box. The 66 in to your Timmy should sound pretty good.

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Its a nice compressor and a tubescreamer. Tubescreamers definitely have their place. It won't be the same as your timmy but the VS OD's make for really good live tone.

5. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

Don't forget, it also has a great buffer. Run it in front of all of your other pedals and let it clean up the "suck."

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I like it a lot. One of the better tube screamers out there, and a decent compressor.

7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I carry one as part of my back up rig. Cool unit.

8. ktp_blues

ktp_blues Member

My other guitarist uses one.. his only complaint is the weird color the buffer adds.

9. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Both sides are nice. Good sounding comp and TS. The only reason I'm not currently using mine is that I picked up an MXR '76 DynaComp RI that sounds better to me than the comp side of the 66 and I can't justify keeping that big of a pedal on my board just for the TS side. However, I used the 66 for years. Still have a Jekyll and Hyde though so that's back on the board now.

10. ibodog

ibodog Senior Member

I traded out my 66 for just the compressor. I liked the 808 side, but I like some other things more. Wish they could fit the compressor w/buffer and noise gate into a little smaller package.

11. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

So the buffer is a good thing?

Do you really use the compressor?

12. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

In all honesty I rated the compressor very highly - as good as the Keeley IMO - the OD was awful, hence I sold the Route 66

13. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I could never warm up to the OD side. I've thought about getting another and modding the OD side to Landy or CJOD specs. I'm not sure how having a buffer before the OD side would affect the tone and feel of it though.

14. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

just like a lot have said, very good compressor connected to a typical tubescreamer.

15. LeeSympathetic

LeeSympathetic Supporting Member

ive had the Comp 66, route 66 and J&H.
    Not really impressive.
    I'd say they're good if you're short on cash.
    But honestly they're pretty cheap sounding... Well considering it's basically 50 dollars per effect since its 2 in 1 I guess it's good... for the money.

16. Snap

Snap Member

I've owned several Visual Sound products and have been unimpressed.
    I actually liked the Overdrive side of the Route 66 waaaay better than the compressor.

17. KBN

KBN Member

This discussion only illustrates that it all depends on the rig you use the pedal with. Some love it and some hate it. Go figure.

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would suggest that you go to your music store and compare the pedal themselves.

The compressor is good, and so is the OD. In fact, the OD side is nothing more than Visual Sound's interpretation of the original TS808, but with more volume and a bass boost. That is it, nothing more, so don't expect the OD side to sound like other "flavoured" TS-clones because that isn't the intention.

19. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

The Route 66 is rated pretty high in my book. The OD is a modded screamer, closer to an original 808 than other mods out there (anyone else feel like LED clippers kill the 808's vibe?). The comp is VERY useful, especially with the tone knob. I like it much better than the AM BiComp. My strat really bonded with my route 66.

Just because this pedal is "cost effective," doesn't mean it has to suck.

20. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I had one on my board (actually took it off today) and it served its purpose well during its time. I've kept it on for a good year or so now and been able to tweak the OD side to do both low and medium gain tones well. The "bass boost" models are great, as it adds a nice warmth to the OD if you feel like it needs more of it. When it switch it off, it feels a little more like a boost pedal as it has a nice transparency to it.

The comp side was one of my favorites, actually. I pretty much left it on all the time for a while and left the tone control switch off - it sounded very tinny and thin to my ears. But the real problem I had with this comp (especially after I paired it with the Diamond Comp) was that it colored my tone way too much. So much that even when my amp was dialed in to be overdriven, kicking the comp on just made it completely clean. I don't think I had a bad unit or anything...but there was absolutely no point in EQing my amp at the brink of saturation as it would automatically clean up when the comp turns on. Otherwise, it was a good sounding comp - that aspect just annoyed me.