How good is the Tone King Metropolitan's Phase 4 Power Scaling? [Videos Inside]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by archtop, Jan 2, 2012.

1. archtop

archtop Member

The big question is, does the tone change from 40W down to 0.1W?

I conducted a test where I repeated the exact same phrase from a Boomerang looper into my Tone King Metropolitan, and recorded it at various output levels, and then level matched the clips in Pro Tools.

Let me know what you think? Does the tone change?

PART 1 - Pushed Clean

PART 2 - Mild Overdrive

PART 3 - Crunch

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

Can't hear much in the way of change. Maybe a bit of thinning out at the 1 to 0 change?

I am actually as much interested in the change that you heard in making the demo.....my experience is that listening to a phrase at high volume conditions your ears to perceive much less harmonic content at lower volume, even when it is essentially unchanged. Did this happen? Only way out of that phenomenon is to start low and stay low - difficult!

Good sounding amp...very good demo..thanks.

3. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Nice job, and playing. There isn't a bad tone in the Metro. I've found pretty much the same results as you with my TK, of course just by ear! I've been saying pretty much since I got mine couple of weeks ago, that its' the best sounding combo I've ever played.

4. Phloored

Phloored Member

Great demo. Cheers to a great implementation of power scaling!

5. petergreeny

petergreeny Member

Excellent demo, thanks very much for putting it together. Recently bought a metro head and 2x12, and have to agree with the above posters: incredibly agile implementation of power scaling. In your clips (and at home) I hear a slight softening of the attack from 3 on down, but the difference is minimal. What an amp!

6. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Nice demo -- sounded almost exactly the same through my laptop speakers. I'll listen again through monitors later.

7. archtop

archtop Member

I pretty much find with most amps that I need to get the volume up enough (maybe 2 or 3 on the dial) for it to start to compress a little, break up a little, and have more exciting harmonic content. I tend to not like my cleans to be completely clean.

I typically run my Metro with the rhythm channel volume on 2 and rhythm channel output power on 7 or 8. I run the lead channel volume on about 3 for a mild breakup and am able to balance it level-wise with the rhythm channel by running the lead channel output power on about 5 or 6. This is a very manageable volume, and I can get louder from there if I need to.

When I say I was surprised by my findings, it's because before the test I would've said that the lead channel below 5 (which is about 3.5W maximum), seemed a bit fizzy sounding to me and lacking balls (which wasn't a problem because I didn't need to go that low).

Listening to the level matched clips, I'd say it stays pretty true all the way down to just about zero. So in hindsight, I think what I was experiencing when I would've described the sound as fizzy or lacking balls, was just the fletcher-munson effect. In the manual, Mark Bartel suggests running the amp at 4ohms at low volumes to compensate for this, which will tend to darken things up. I haven't tried this yet.

The other thing that I noticed in doing the dirty clip, was that at full output power there was more compression, which I think must be coming from the speaker. It disappeared as soon as the output power was set on 9.

I'm really happy with this amp. It's very flexible and completely inspiring. It's the kind of amp that makes you want to unplug the pedalboard. Guitar>Amp. Done.

8. archtop

archtop Member

I'm on holidays and have been making recordings, and working out how to use iMovie for fun.

Here's some more if anyone is interested.

Guitar straight in

It does, however, sound pretty good with a honey bee

9. Bikedude

That Goldtop sounds glorious straight in to the Metro! Nice job!

10. archtop

archtop Member

Thanks Bikedude!

What guitars are you other Metro owners using with good results? I don't own a strat right now, but did try one through it and it was a fantastic match.

11. Bikedude

I just love my Am. Dlx. Strat straight in to my Metro. I also like my 52AVRI-Thin Skin, as the Metro just makes the single coils bell like. I tried a few OD's thru and really like the Line 6M9 pedal with some delay, and slight OD, in either channel. I don't really like the sound of my Peavy Wolfgang into the Metro, but after hearing your'e LP, I'm going to try my 73 Goldtop Deluxe next. Keep the vids comming, i like em.

12. archtop

archtop Member

Cool! Has the deluxe got minimums or P90's?

I plan on doing some more vids for fun, so feel free to subscribe.

13. crunchman

crunchman Member

Great vintage cruuch tone, just gotta get one !! Super !!

14. phalanges

phalanges Member

Excellent demonstration.
    Playing is tasteful and restrained.
    The only tonal difference that I could perceive is between no attenuation (10) and the 1st level of attenuation (9).
    For me, there is a noticeable (though not unpleasant) compression that takes some clarity from the low-end.
    From 9 to 1, any difference seems insignificant.
    Thanks.

15. haslar

haslar Member

Wow thanks!

Through the Ipad speakers, i can't hear any differences whatsoever.

16. archtop

archtop Member

I agree, and strangely I actually prefer the tone from 9 down compared to no attenuation on 10.

17. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I only listened to the clean/first vid. Ignoring the possible variables, internet compression etc, computer speakers.... I thought the tone was pretty much consistent. Impressive.

On a different question, I understand these are PCB based. The reason I've preferred PTP amps is longevity/serviceability over decades. That might be OK with PCB too depending on how it's built and laid out with access to components etc. Have you ever had a peek inside? Pics?

18. archtop

archtop Member

I haven't opened it up, but I spoke to a local amp tech who has worked on it, and he said that it was high quality PCB construction with thick boards etc. Not his preferred kind of amp to work on, but nothing to worry about, he said.

19. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Pretty transparent.

I could hear the tone thining out a bit from the first click and more so each click. But its probably more so the speaker and output transformer not being hit so hard than the power tubes being scaled. Sounds way better than a mv.

Power scaled tone reminds me a lot like mp3 files being ripped to lesser bit files.

20. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Member

Tone King Metropolitan has the best power scaling I have ever heard, until I discovered the new 3rd Power British Dream. Both blow me away in being able to maintain that beautiful tone at all volumes