How guitar playing is influencing my home buying decision

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by patentcad, Jan 22, 2012.

1. patentcad

patentcad Member

We're about to list our house for sale to move down to Bergen County, NJ, which features real estate nearly double the price of where we live currently (Orange County, NY). If we purchased a condo it would make things simpler and cheaper. But I can't buy a condo for several reasons.

One major reason is when I'm playing my guitar, I want to crank my amp up at times. In a townhouse neighbors might give me **** about that. Eff that action.

So I'm not that concerned about a large lot, but a separate house is a must. There are other reasons (i.e., we have a dog we love, some condos don't want you to have a dog or a large dog, eff that action too).

Just when you think guitar playing can't get any more expensive, it does.

2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

All of my rental options have to take my studio into account. So I feel ya. I'm a total city boy, but have to live about 10 minutes away from town so I can rent a house. I'd love to live downtown, but finding something where I could set up my studio is impossible :(

Music is a harsh mistress!

3. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

not only do my many collections knock out condo's for me (I need too much storage space), but my guitars kind of nessesitate an extra bedroom, as I refuse to keep them in a basement.

which means my next house is going to be needlessly expensive.

4. patentcad

patentcad Member

Tell me about it.

5. hikingbear

hikingbear Member

I'm having same problem. we decided to move to Seattle,WA sometime this year and money wise we should move into condo or townhouse but we really want a house so we could continue making music.(also play loud time to time)

6. patentcad

patentcad Member

Right. It's worth the money. There are also many other advantages to owning a house vs. a townhouse/condo, few downsides in my view (outside of higher cost).

7. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind the condo/homeowners associations and their contracts. Always be sure to read the fine print! At least have a lawyer look it over before you sign.

8. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I bought where I live due to my wife's horse.

On the upside I can play at very good volumes here, in fact no matter how loud I've never had a complaint regardless of time of day or night.

Got two dogs, have long rides to work- I'm happy.
    That's what should decide where you live.

9. rastus

rastus Member

I am marrying for the second time and moving to a new place next month. I have been a single dad for many years and my 1700 sq ft home has served my son and I as well as our dogs needs. I always had the 3rd bedroom for my music and gear. Since I also work maintaining artists and collectors collections, I have always had commercial storage and a shop area, but that does not really bleed over into what Inhave at home much.
    Since we live midway between Nashville and Chattanooga at the new place- it was very cost effective. Even in a down market, my old place will sell easily, because the neighborhood is located right next to schools. Grocery, post office, etc- perfect for young families with children. Heck that is why I moved there almost 15 years ago. My wonderful fiancé has her own business at home and she made sure to find a home that would have space for that as well as our 3 sons and a big fenced yard and covered porch for our 5 dogs. We have a pasture and pond for our 2 horses, as well there is a 1 acre pasture beside the house where I am going to build a building for my storage and shop. In the house there is also a room, off the dining room that has just enough room and a closet to house all my guitars, amps and gear. We had to hunt for a while- but the cost is very affordable at only 175k. The sale of our current homes will leave us owing only about 12 k. I would have made do with whatever was good for her and the kids, but my needs as well as theirs was top priority to her. She is supportive and loves me for who I am, including my business and my collection. I am truly blessed in this respect.

10. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Move to Maine, 2 acres on a hilltop and a house/barn/garage by the sea for less than 100K.

11. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

My house decision after moving from GA to CT, I bought a house with a barn I had converted into a commercial type studio and practice facility with heat & AC which houses all my gear and recording equipment as well as a great man cave when I want to get away from my wife for a bit.

12. blong

blong Member

A guitar room/music room is a must for me, as well. And I crank my amps and get the electrons jumping in my tubes, so neighbors would hate me.

Bob

13. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

It sucks being hampered by living choices due to playing an instrument imo.

I hope the development of standardized affordable sound proofing becomes an industry standard/trend not just because of musician types but people being bothered by noise in general. :bonk

14. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

OP: You're moving **TO** New Jersey?

Seriously?

That's my plan, right there.....Once the kids are out of HS, me & the Mrs. are headed to the woods of Maine.

15. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

That would be awesome, whats the job market like up there?

16. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I just came down Rt 17 to 4W from Greenwood Lake.

Buy a house near a big store...they're closed Sunday so you won't bother anyone in the parking lot. ;-)

17. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Recently bought a house far from any neighbors for exactly that reason -- love to crank my big amps! Nice not having people call the cops during band practices too.

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

We'll probably wind up somewhere in Mahwah. Big town, lots of houses on the market, low taxes.

19. patentcad

patentcad Member

Yep. I've been living in lower bumfark now for 15 years. My wife works in Bergen County, my whole family is there, etc. We like it there. Mahwah (where we want to move) is in the NW corner of the county, close to open spaces, low taxes, but close to everything.

The tricky part will be getting a buyer for our house, then being reasonably sure the deal will close, and only THEN trying to get a contract on a house to purchase, all while trying to arrange a closing that allows us to move once.

We may well wind up having to rent and move twice. But unless you have a big pile of cash (we don't) that's what you have to orchestrate. May not be as tough as it sounds, lots of people are in this position when they sell one house and buy another. One thing we have as a resource is parents with cash they can lend us for a short term bridge loan, that really helps.

20. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

Great thread and very timely..... I'll be moving soon (post Divorce, yeah it sucks) from a big family home (3600 sf , 0.75 Acre) to a starter home. I've ruled out condo/town homes because I still enjoy loud rock guitar and Home theater (w/ big sub woofers). My current home has a 1200 sf basement with a suitable man cave (home theater, jam room). One concern I have is where will I put 15 guitars in a starter home that lacks a finished basement. Seriously, I'll have to put a few guitars in each bedroom closet to spread out the heard.

As a result of my hobbies, I've decided I want/need a detached single family home around 1600-1800sf just to avoid disturbing my neighbors.... and I'll be living alone. Ahh, the price we pay for our hobbies.