• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How hard/expensive is it to remove a Floyd Rose?

quadrogong

I've got a chance to trade a bunch of gear to someone,
one of the items I'd be getting is a BC Rich Mockingbird ST
with an Original Floyd Rose.
I like the idea of having the bar, but the string changing thing intimidates me slightly,
I've been a LP player for years and although i don't break strings often,
It's happened once or twice in the last few years.
I usually don't bring a spare to local club dates, and I almost never break strings onstage, but you know..Murphy's Law..stuff happenens.

If i want to change this to a hardtail, is it going to run me a lot of dough?

I'll assume it's not an easy job,and I should have a pro do it for me..
i want it set up and lined up correctly..

With the hardware,repair charges..what do u think it will run?

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
A guy at a local shop drilled two holes in a quarter then screwed it in up against the block on my only Floyd guitar left. Makes it down only. Then when I pull all the locks and strings off the bridge doesn't fall against the body.

quadrogong

i actually like the whammy bar, just fear the string changing w all that's involved..takes too long..
maybe i need to just learn to change them quickly..
I subway to lots of gigs, and keep my gear small, I hate bringing a spare..

I don't fear the Floyd, kinda fear the Allen wrench and the wire cutters..

I picture myself fumbling over that crap while my band mates and the audience rolls their eyes,
I need to practice changing strings,keep the clippers and wrench super close.. maybe cut the ball ends off before I get to the gig?

hop

Locking the Floyd doesn't do anything to alleviate the string change PITA. I thought about somehow making mine into a hardtail but decided it wasn't worth the $$$ and effort.

I sold my Floyd-equipped M'bird and got the STQ hardtail. Problem solved.

EADGBE

Original Floyds are easy to change strings on. Put your favorite strings on there and play it a while. You may like the tone. And of course make sure you have the correct size Allen wrenches for when you have to change the strings. For less of a hassle change them one at a time.

shioks76

String changing is easy. When changing strings at home, just change it one at a time. Take out 1 string, replace then retune and stretch. Always tune up and stretch before moving to the next string. Dosen't take too much longer than a guitar without the floyd.

When changing during a gig when the string breaks: Usually the high e or the b string. Thread the string through the tuner. The ball end at the tuner end. At the other end, cut off excess string. Put in the string through the clamp at the bridge. Tune the guitar and you're ready to go.

Wouldn't bother if I were you. To much to invest in a guitar with a big hole in it now.

Get a hardtail, or kahler

I ditched Floyd guitars live because you simply cant do that quickly, and the tuning goes to **** so you can't even keep playing. Kahlers won't do that. Heck I sold my Floyd guitars cause I hated cutting/playing to pitch/stretching the strings at HOME... Lol pain in the a$$

Or take a spare.

EADGBE

I rarely break strings with mine and I play like a wild man. Not only that but the intonation is bolted down so to speak. As long as you use the same brand and gauge of strings you don't have to adjust it.

quadrogong

The one thing turning me off about the guitar
I may have to skip it and stay with the LP's, sounds like a buncha money and hassle..

Chad

To directly answer the thread question: it would be difficult and expensive if done right. Literally hundreds of dollars by the time a person fills the routs, refinishes the guitar, and installs new hardware.

chrisrocksusa

To directly answer the thread question: it would be difficult and expensive if done right. Literally hundreds of dollars by the time a person fills the routs, refinishes the guitar, and installs new hardware.
I agree. Not worth it.

zarl

Yeah, not worth it to remove the Floyd, fill the hole, and install a hard tail. Also, the nut replacement will leave a large shelf that would look kind of funny. As others have mentioned, I'd get a trem stopper like this from http://www.fu-tone.com/:

and block the movement. At that point, you don't need the bar, and can use it like a hardtail if you want.

It would be very difficult and expensive to replace the Floyd. I was new to Floyds about a year ago and I ended up with a Charvel San Dimas. I quickly learned how to change strings. One at a time as others have said, tune and stretch as you go. It's not hard at all. Watch some youtube tutorials on it and you're good. I also blocked mine with a trem block from fu-tone.com as I was used to Les Pauls and I rest my hand on the bridge, which made the guitar go out of tune slightly. Now it's solid and I can put on the bar and have access to it, or leave it off and it's essentially a hardtail. It also greatly increased the sustain to block the trem for dive only. I also installed a d-tuna to allow instant drop d access. The d-tuna can be a PITA, thought. At home I clip the ball ends, install the string in the clamp and tune it on up. No problem. As an emergency quick string change at a gig, I would probably just use the ball end at the tuner and clip the string to fit at the bridge. I use 9-42's and have never broken a string even during pretty enthusiastic use of the trem. I also just bought a model 6 Charvel with a Kahler. Totally different trem, but a quick youtube tutorial and I had it strung and set up with no issues. Give the FR a try, different flavor in your arsenal and simple once you get familiar with it. One additional bonus: I'm a die hard Les Paul/SG guy and I love my Gibsons, but I tune them often during a gig because they stay in tune like every other Gibson, which is not for long. I hardly ever have to tune a Floyd Rose or Kahler after the initial tune up for the night.

Locking the Floyd doesn't do anything to alleviate the string change PITA. I thought about somehow making mine into a hardtail but decided it wasn't worth the $$$ and effort.

I sold my Floyd-equipped M'bird and got the STQ hardtail. Problem solved.
Right.

If you don't have a Floyd, don't convert to one, find a Floyd guitar.

If you have a Floyd but don't want the grief, sell the Floyd to someone who wants/needs one.

I love modding, but converting to and from Floyds (or Kahlers) is a waste of precious resources. I don't mess with Floyd guitars, and I ask people who want a Floyd, please don't F$#k up a perfectly nice guitar. Fair exchange?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
i actually like the whammy bar, just fear the string changing w all that's involved..takes too long..
It really doesn't take much extra time, if any to change the strings on a Floyd. If you gig, you should have a backup anyway.

RRfireblade

My advice is to not freak out just yet.

String changes on Floyds are not at all as complicated as some make it appear to be. In fact, changing a single string is pretty simple and quick. All I do to make it easier on stage is I keep a second set of strings in my bag that are roughly cut to length and with the ends cut off already so no cutters needed. And I keep an allen wrench in the package with the strings so it's always there, no digging. It doesn't really take me any longer to change a Floyd string than any other.

jtm622

Here's a solution that won't cost you a cent -
I've got a Kahler-Spyder equipped Fender HM Strat guitar, and I simply "decked" it... It still does dive-bombs, but it stays in tune as it only goes in one direction: "down..."
It also remains in tune during "two-string" licks, and even if a string breaks...

Plus - string changes are absolutely no big deal...

:)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom