Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by porsch8, Jan 12, 2008.
Black tolex is just too boring...
Green or blonde would look real nice
Hard, and messy.
I tried, once.
Senior Scumback had a great thread with detailed pics of his comsmetic restoration of a late '60s 4X12 that was rode harder than Marilynn Chambers a couple years back.
It's messy, time consuming, finicky work. I would wager that it's too much work just to have it match your sofa.
Just did aTraynor head ,time consuming,messy and finicky but now i know how to do it .
It's much easier after you've done one but the first one is a biatch.
My bet is removing the old stuff is the hardest. I've done my own stuff quite a few times when it was new cabs I built, but never reworked an old one.
Dunno what the pros use, but contact cement is what I used. You need to do this outdoors or in an open space...not in a house...too much vapors & cover the floor with some plastic.
About the 5th one you figure it all out. Up until then, you have a learning curve. I'd suggest clicking on my tutorial, it will it get you a pretty good idea. But be prepared to spend about 10 hours on the whole job...or 1.5 days... if you want to do it right.
I use latex flooring adhesive,the key is prep,prep, prep make sure your surfaces are sanded smooth.Take your time and use scraps to practice cuts before you commit to the final cut.
this really helped me through
Thanks for bringing this up. I would like to build an amp this year, and the Tolex is my biggest fear, to be honest!
My first project was making a back panel for my 68 Plexi i was relatively happy and went to a store to check out some reissue panels.They were rougher and one had an unglued flap.I felt better after that.
I restored my 64 blonde Bassman. But I used to be an upholsterer for many years, so it was just adjusting that technique. While the thought of doing right is not a fun thought, I know I will do it again at some point. It's a lot easier if the old tolex is still there to use as a pattern and guide to get the cuts and overlaps right. Oddly, I can't wrap a good looking present to save my life LOL
Actually, I found removing old tolex that had probably been applied with hide glue came off rather easy. If it was newer and used a spray adhesive, that might have stickier, but I suppose some solvent or goo-gone would help.