How hard is it to "super circuit" my LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by John Carson, Apr 14, 2008.

1. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I have a really nice 92 LP Custom Plus with a great flame top that I got pretty cheap due to a repaired headstock. I never thought Id dig it much as I tend to like fatter necks and more vintage pickups but lo and behold it just seems to fit me!

Anyway since it has a pre existing condition of sorts I thought of maybe doing something fun yet useful and thought of the Page super circuit idea.
    Is it a lot of complicated wiring and 4 push pull pots that a decent guitar repair person could handle?

I have never played a LP with this set up but the idea sounds cool and I happen to love Teles and Strats and the idea of all these sounds in one guitar interests me. I figured Id inquire to all the LP players here. Evan a modified version would be cool!
    Thanks

Ps. I learned a lesson. Think before you snub your nose on a guitar with a "story":AOK

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

3. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

4. rick31797

rick31797 Member

I am no expert but it looks like u would need to have new pickups.. like 4 wire.,or 5 wire.

RK

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Actually the existing pickups can be modified to four wire if he would like. FWIW it's going to sound like a Paul with split humbuckers, not like a Strat or Tele.

6. rick31797

rick31797 Member

Thats pretty cool i didnt know you could do that..So my Gibson 490/498 >>> 2 wire can be changed to 4 wire so i can split the pickups>>> really >>> where can i find out how to do this.

Where would we be without the internet and all the smart people that give us the information to learn.

RK

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

You'd have to remove the tape around the pickups and most likely desolder the cover off if it has one. Each coil has a 2 conductors. They are wired in parallel meaning that the hot and ground wires of each pickup are soldered toether inside the housing. If the pickups are wax potted you're probably better off just getting new ones. I'm sure if you start a new thread about how to do it somebody will jump in with better info than I have.