• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How hard should it be to turn a truss rod?

ToddW123

Got a Charvel pro mod dk and it has one of those truss rod wheels at the end of the neck where it attaches to the body. The wheel has some holes in it and you are supposed to stick a rod in there and push it to rotate the wheel to loosen/tighten the truss rod. But it is very difficult to turn in either direction. I have adjusted truss rods before but this one is much more difficult to turn. But maybe its because my other ones are the standard type with a nut under a cover at the head stock and also a single action whereas I think this one might be a double action. Any ideas about whether this hard turning wheel is normal? I only turned it about an 1/8 of a turn because I am a little worried about it.

gunslinger

...I only turned it about an 1/8 of a turn because I am a little worried about it.
Did that help the relief? Also were the strings totally slackened when you adjusted it? I don't recommend adjusting the rod with the strings up to pitch.

ToddW123

It changed the relief a bit. But I am more concerned about the truss rod adjustment in general. The strings are slackened and the wheel does not want to turn in either direction without a lot of force and I am afraid to touch it.

monty

Sounds like a problem. I have 2 guitars with that kind of TR (a EVH and a Charvel) and both are the smoothest turning of any guitars I have. Bring it to a tech before you do some damage!

bulbasaur_85

How old is the guitar? I've run across a few older guitars (20+ years old) where the truss rod was either maxed out or stuck a bit. I've had great success using the approach linked below which "helps" the truss rod a bit.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Erlewine recommends removing the nut, lubing the truss rod threads and retightening. I have encountered rods where this made all the difference. I also have run across rods where the threads were fouled with rod cavity debris and cleaning smoothed out the adjustment.

Unfortunately I am not sure any of that applies to this truss rod design. When I have a standard one way with an adjusting nut that doesn't want to turn either way, I have applied a very small amount of penetrating lube at the nut to thread interface. It tends to wick into the connection and I have freed up nuts this way. Again this may not apply to your situation. But that is what has worked for me. For some double acting rods the nut is welded on so lubing and removal isn't applicable.

A tech is probably a good idea.

sunking101

It changed the relief a bit. But I am more concerned about the truss rod adjustment in general. The strings are slackened and the wheel does not want to turn in either direction without a lot of force and I am afraid to touch it.
I've had the same anxiety with the occasional truss rod. I would send it back if you still have time. That wheel may well snap off, it shouldn't be ridiculously hard to turn.

ToddW123

OK, so I think I am just going to send this brand new guitar back. The truss rod is something I do not want to mess with in this condition and I have had a few other issues with it as well.

slo100

I have had good luck with just a dab or anti-seize on the threads making it very smooth as well as not freezing.

ToddW123

Update on problem with truss rod wheel adjuster. My original guitar had an extremely difficult to turn wheel, as I posted in this thread. I wound up sending it back for a replacement guitar and its wheel adjuster turns very smoothly and with little force required. I got this guitar from Sweetwater and had absolutely no problem getting a replacement. I always like to call out when I get good service from a vendor. It was a bit of a hassle, but all good in the end. I am really enjoying my new Charvel DK pro mod.

Last edited:

Obsessive Tinkerer

Silver Supporting Member
In the middle of something so I haven't read the other comments completely - how it the adjustment going the opposite direction? If it's tight going loose rock it loose, loser, loser, then a little tighter, tighter, tighter.... but never with a ton of force. It may very well be that going from climate to climate has seized the truss nut a bit.... the wiggle it back wards and then forwards will let you know if it going to get better or not. If you get it moving nice going loose but you get stuck where you were going tight you've got yourself a warped neck. Try this. If you do get stuck where you are tightening it's a return to sender.... chances are you just have a stiff nut.

RRfireblade

He's already returned it and got a replacement guitar.

In the middle of something so I haven't read the other comments completely - how it the adjustment going the opposite direction? If it's tight going loose rock it loose, loser, loser, then a little tighter, tighter, tighter.... but never with a ton of force. It may very well be that going from climate to climate has seized the truss nut a bit.... the wiggle it back wards and then forwards will let you know if it going to get better or not. If you get it moving nice going loose but you get stuck where you were going tight you've got yourself a warped neck. Try this. If you do get stuck where you are tightening it's a return to sender.... chances are you just have a stiff nut.

ToddW123

Yeah, actually did try some of this with my original guitar. it was super hard to move in both directions with or without string tension. I managed to move it a little bit but quickly stopped. It was definitely fubar. New guitar truss wheel works fine though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom