How hard would it be for a first timer to build this?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by somedude, Aug 23, 2006.

1. somedude

somedude Member

2. rooster

rooster Member

That's a LOT of power for your first build. Having built many amps from scratch, I can tell you that you don't want to start out with a quad power tube amp. I'd recommend a single-ended first, then a small push-pull with either EL84's or 6V6's, and then work up to the big boys.

rooster.

3. wilder

wilder Member

That looks fairly complex and underdocumented for a first build. Try a kit first and then get into scratching one up. I did it the opposite way and regret it. I spent ungodly hours on the scratch build that wouldn't have been neccesary if I'd built the kit first.

4. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

wow, first build?...looking at that is like trying to read Klingon to me-

5. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Speaking of Klingon, be careful with high voltage. If you don't know what you're doing it can be dangerous. Keep one hand in your pocket, remove all jewelry, and use a chopstick as a probe. Otherwise you might "Klingon" to the chassis. (not fun)

Start with something simple, and read up on safety precautions before attempting any amp project.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    First build? No way. Start with this http://www.ax84.com/ When you've got it working, then think about the Orange amp.

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

I'm the son of a master electrician, and I am a noob around electronics. It's pitiful. What can I do to increase my knowledge of the subject of electricity? I'm a full time factory worker with a wife and kids, so going to school is verboten. Can anyone suggest a good book or website that reads in laymans terms? I'd really like to try my hand a building an amp, but I don't want to go into it completely ignorant of the risks involved. Thanks.

8. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Just looking at the schematic I bet this Orange amp sounds quite sterile. The absence of a Stdby/Run switch makes me nervous. I gotta admit I don't like how the wiper of the bias pot goes directly to the tubes. The bypass capacitor values seem a little il-chosen for a guitar amp too. This has a 1970's "who gives a crap how long it lasts" flavour to the design. That's gotta be a gaffe on the bridge rectifier too.

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I'd look at something a bit more common.

Try AX84.com or 18watt.com

10. somedude

somedude Member

Hmmm. It didn't look that complicated, but I suppose you guys are right. I'll save up for an 18w kit to get started, then move onto the Orange. At least it'll give me lots of time to come up with a better diagram.

11. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

Oh come on, live a little. Life is a adventure. If you don't need or want a 18 Watter, don't waste your money or time. Build the big boy.

If you can read a schematic and can solder, (and I do mean solder, not melt wires) then you shouldn't have any problem. There's no fancy FET or relay switching involved. It's just 2 preamp tubes and 4 output tubes. If you really break it down into small sections you'll see it's really simple.

The only problem I see is obtaining the Iron (transformers and choke) and what are you going to do about a chasiss. Seems a shame to build an Orange amp into anything except something that looks like an Orange amp.

Just understand unless your building this as a kit like Metro Amp, (I not aware of anyone offering Orange kits), or you have a Orange amp to copy, you will be struggling and wishing you never started this foolish project with such limited experience. :nono

-Tony

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I think the big problem with building an amp like that (for the novice and even non beginners) is making a layout that doesn't pickup alot of noise and squeeling.

I built an 18 watt (my first amp) and did my own layout. I have to redo it to kill some hum.

13. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Take a closer look. Hint, this will blow the fuse as soon as you turn it on.:)

14. somedude

somedude Member

I won't have any problem with the chassis....that's probably the easiest part from my point of view.

Some words to think about though. I'm really not into the Marshall sound, which is why I haven't been all that interested in building a kit. I'd be willing to try a Bassman type circuit if anyone can recommend one.

Other than that I like your idea of copying directly from another circuit.

15. somedude

somedude Member

Now this looks a little more my style.....too bad the picture wasn't better/bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. somedude

somedude Member

The way TGP'ers can spot a cold soldier joint in a blurry picture.....:rotflmao

On a more serious note, I'm in the army (communications) and I have radio & electronics techs working for me. If I couldn't fault find it myself they'd totally geek out over something like this.

17. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

That tidy wiring is surely the product of a sick mind. ;)

18. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Do one of these first:

http://www.guytronix.com/

Get it going and enjoy.

Rich Guy is first class.
    Plus you get all the parts
    as a kit and have support too.

It might not be too challenging
    and then again you've got something
    useful under your belt that won't
    piss off the wife and kids too much.