How Harlot react to nos tubes?

MogwaiBoy

To put it bluntly, I don't care. I love how it sounds straight out of the box - it's exactly what I wanted and I have no desire to change the tube until I have to. I really like new Tung Sol 12AX7s aswell so I'm happy with stock. I can't imagine the Kingsley Harlot being able to sound better than it already does and any tonal changes via tube replacement will be very subjective anyway... so it might sound better to someone else but not me.

Phenomenal pedal.

Sanitarium

To put it bluntly, I don't care. I love how it sounds straight out of the box - it's exactly what I wanted and I have no desire to change the tube until I have to. I really like new Tung Sol 12AX7s aswell so I'm happy with stock. I can't imagine the Kingsley Harlot being able to sound better than it already does and any tonal changes via tube replacement will be very subjective anyway... so it might sound better to someone else but not me.

Phenomenal pedal.

Understand!...mine is arriving, I was dreaming with a mullard in it!
Nobody have done experiments?

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Don't know about the NOS but on my Jester I did swap one of the two 12ax7 tubes out for a NOS 5751 that brought the gain to right where I wanted in, a good range for myself.

BluesHarp

UP!

How would a nos long plate Mullard 12ax7 or 12at7 sound in here.. eq, gain and attack wise??

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
I tried a few different tubes in my Harlot and settled on a black plate RCA 12AX7. I really liked a Marconi 12AT7 for dropping the gain a bit, and also dug an Amperex Bugle Boy in there.

To be honest, the stock tube that Simon ships in these sounds superb. I would only suggest "tube tasting" if you happen to have some NOS options lying around, as it's not really worth shelling out big bucks to tweak the already wonderful sound of this pedal.

Plexiglass

My stock tube failed, sounded fine until that time. Rolled a few just for the hell of it and right now it has an old GE 12AT in and sounds great in JMP's.

BernardM

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried various NOS options in both Harlot and Page.

First of all I agree that Simon's stock choice of Tung-Sol new production 12AX7 sounds good so I understand those that don't want to change.

For what its worth I've settled on:
- a black-plate D-getter GE in my Page, with Amperex Herleen and old Tung-Sol black-plate bent square getter tubes also sounding great in there.
- a black-place Raytheon in my Harlot, with a long-plate Mullard also making me smile when I did try it in there (not as punchy as the Raytheon but heaps of lovely harmonics)

Trending Topics