How Have Your Guitar or Gear Preferences Changed Since You Started Playing?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by burton56, Aug 20, 2019.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I’ve come full circle.

I started out with a Strat.

Then I went through a big Ibanez shredder phase where I was mostly playing 7 string RGs with 2 humbuckers and double locking trems.

These days I’m back to Strats

2. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

I started out with Strats like you but am leaning more to my Les Paul these days. Strats don’t see as much playing time anymore.

3. Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson Member

started out with a lame ibanez doing lame shred stuff with a lame crate amp and a metal zone.

Moved to teles and Digital effects and havent looked back.

4. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Me in 1998:
    [​IMG]

Me in 2019:
    [​IMG]

So yeah... not so much!

5. TYR

TYR Member

The biggest change for me is that I no longer own any guitar with a Floyd Rose. Back in the 80s and early 90s, most of my guitars were Kramers, Ibanez RG550, various Charvel/Jackson. Later I would own a Musicman Axis which is probably one of the last Floyd equipped guitars I owned. Then I gravitated towards PRS guitars in the late 90s along with USA and MIJ Fender guitars. These days my two main guitars are a Suhr and a Grosh although I'm on the lookout for a good Fender Custom Shop Strat and Tele.

Also another change for me is my taste in pickups. Back in the day, I was all about high output humbuckers and all my single coils were Dimarzio HS2 or HS3. These days, I prefer low output PAF style humbuckers and true single coils.

Lastly, as might be expected from the above gear choices, I play with MUCH less gain that I used to.

Dannyz likes this.
  6. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Started with a white Squier Strat on 2009 (Squier SE Starter pack), got obsessed with Hendrix/Blackmore, then Nirvana, then Pantera (Floyd Rose Superstrats came in), then 80s hair metal (more superstrats). Ended up with 4 Ibanez RGs, one BC Rich Gunslinger, BC Rich Mockingbird, two Epiphone Les Paul Std.

Now i have two Gibson Les Paul Classics (my Page/Slash guitars), one SG Standard (my ACDC guitar) and a EBMM Axis (my EVH/Motley Crue/Steve Stevens guitar). Cant stand Strats/pointy guitars and single coils, i just cant make em sound good. Also the upper horn bothers me a lot. They are not for me.

i would like to add a Hot Rod 52' Tele (or 72' Custom) in the future since i dig Teles a lot more than Strats.

Anyways, there's nothing better for good tone than a setneck solid body guitar with TOM bridge and a good pair of Humbuckers. Yes, im talking about a Les Paul.

7. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

For the first years of my playing, I had a POS El Degas Les Paul copy. Not a bad guitar wood-wise but hardware and electronics were absolute trash. I had to start on something and that was what I was given. A relative owned it and passed it to me because he did not want to play. I had a Darius D12 amp which was also a POS. It would cut in and out whenever it wanted to. I would give it a kick on the side and it would work again......again, no complaints as I had to start somewhere and was grateful that I had something that worked.

I then saved up for an entire summer of cutting grass and bought an Ibanez Roadstar 2 guitar which was really, really nice. It has a nice quilt top on it. I had the store (Luthier was a much younger Brian Mascarin) put in a Rockinger locking system on it which was an awful mistake. The install was amazing. But....It was just a very poorly designed trem. I broke strings constantly no matter what I did. I sold that guitar and continued to use Ibanez until a few years back. I had a smattering of PRS and a few Gibsons. The Fender strats that I bought through the early 90s.....several of which I should NOT have sold or traded are missed but not forgotten. My favorite Ibanez guitars are the many J Customs that I have owned, sold and traded over the years. However, my hands no longer enjoy playing on those skinny necks.

I ended up switching to CS strats about 4 years ago and I have realized that I really like many of the neck shapes from Fender over anything else. I have always wanted Charvel guitars when I was younger, but up here in Canada in the 80s, those were unobtainable. Thankfully, I got a couple of beauty custom shop models over the past couple of years to round out what I have. Again, they are all somewhat similar....humbucker, singles, Floyd Roses. It just works for me and I am comfortable with that setup. I used to love EMG pickups growing up but these days, I like either Alnico II or V pickups with a more hotter PAF setup. The new Duncan Frankenstein pickups are nothing short of incredible to my ears.

The only oddball is the Masterbuilt Tele with Floyd rose that I purchased from a collector friend for an insanely great price. That guitar is something from another world the way it plays and sounds. I will never sell it.

As for amps, still love the high gain stuff! Too many to list. Usually an EL-34 fan but my current Fav’s would be a JP-2C or anything by Friedman. These days though, the Axe III works great for me as well.

Regrets?
    Lots of guitars and amps sold and traded. But that is the nature of the game. I would only buy something new if I sold a couple of things that would equal what I was buying.

8. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Not by much.

I strayed away for a while but I'd say 20+ years of my 30+ year playing career I've been Fender+Fender=happy.

9. egregion

egregion Member

I too started with that Starcaster strat copy. HSS. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. I'm curious if it was as bad as i remember it or if it's just because I was bad at guitar.

10. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

Mine was very bad at first, but then my guitar teacher took it one day and said 'let me make this way easier for you to play'.

He turned the truss rod a bit, lowered the saddles, and it was probably the easiest playing guitar I've ever experienced outside a PRS. Wish i would have kept it, instead of sanding it down, painting it blue and orange and making it 'fretless'

egregion likes this.
  11. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

When I started, I planned on never buying a guitar over $300.... man, am I a different person now.

Pixies2005, egregion and Laurence like this.
  12. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Seems like it. I started playing “late” in my mid-30s with a cheap Epiphone Les Paul. Moved to a Gibson Les Paul, and that was always my home base, even though I owned and dug Strats and Teles. Moved to Superstrats and from there, settled on PRS 24s.

Amps: simple at first, channel switchers now.

13. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

My evolution as a worship player (see what I did there? Lol) over the past four years has transformed me from a single coil guy to a HB guy almost exclusively. Still own some killer SC guitars, but they gather dust. Sold all the amps, bought a KPA. No turning back.

14. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

Not a whole lot. Amp wise, yes, but maybe not. First decent amp was a Sovtek MiG 60, sold it to help finance a Mesa Dual Recto, which I sold after a few years. Lived in an apartment for years while in grad school and working, so just played through a Zoom modeler into headphones or 15W Vox practice amp. Once I bought my house, got a Blackstar HT5, then moved to Orange. Never liked sparkly clean, so maybe just different brands of a similar flavor.

Guitars, started with the Squire Strat then moved to a dual humbucker Ibanez Talman. Been a bucker guy ever since. Dreamed of a Les Paul; remember picking up a Les Paul Classic in a shop circa...2001. Loved it. Finally got one last fall.

Effects, all over, but not much boutique. Did come back to a lot of EHX stuff. I had a hard wired (3 prong cord) Electric Mistress, Memory Man, and Sovtek Muff. Sold all those, but still have a soft spot for EHX today.

15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

Started drooling over a pal’s older brother’s Tele in the 70s. I still love em.
    And I liked a Les Paul into a Marshall since my bands got serious. I still do.
    So not that much I guess.
    I am a much better acoustic player now though...

16. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I started hearing my dad play a 335 through a BF SR.
    Then I had my own Peavey Gear.
    By the end of HS I mowed enough lawns for a black strat.

Today I still favor BF amps. For guitars it is Tele & PRS.

17. GT40

GT40 Member

Started with a Strat and a PRRI almost 9 years ago. About two and a half years ago I added a Les Paul.

18. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

My horizons have broadened quite a bit. When I started playing at 15, the true "Excalibur" in my mind was a black Jackson Soloist, although I couldn't afford one. And radical bodies (Vs, Explorers, Warriors, etc) had a lot more appeal to me. And it was humbuckers or DIE!! :nono

I still love my Jacksons and Charvels, although I am just as home on a traditional Strat, Tele, LP or SG. I tend to boost singles when playing them aggressively, but they can create some of my favorite tones for sure. Otherwise, I'm a straight-to-the-amp guy.

From the first day I heard a Mesa Mark IV as a kid in 1992, I've been totally sold on Marks. That hasn't changed at all. :wave

kushman likes this.
  19. kushman

kushman Member

mine have, I was all shredder guitars and amps and now i'm mostly telecasters and Fender amps lol

I used to hate Telecasters, now I love em - go figure

20. AlanH

AlanH Member

Not for me.

I liked Gibsons, Superstrats and Marshalls when I started at 16 and I'm lucky enough to own them now at 50.