How have your guitar tastes changed since 2000 ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Telejester, May 7, 2016.

1. Telejester

Telejester Member

My tastes in guitar since 2000 have changed quite dramatically. In 2000 I couldn't see further than les Paul guitars and humbucking pickups.Around 2005 I found myself bored rigid with how a les Paul sounds and I took a hiatus from playing in bands and playing guitar completely.Around 2009 I started missing playing and strolled into a music store. I made a beeline for a les Paul and after 10 mins playing I said nah not for me. I never bothered looking at any strats because I've always had a love hate relationship with those guitars and catching my pick regularly on the middle pickup. I picked up an ash American standard Telecaster with a maple neck and started playing. What became apparent was how bell like the top end was and the compression I was sick of with a les Paul was totally absent. I found myself having an absolute blast in a way I hadn't experienced in years. I bought that tele and a diamond cpr1 Compressor along with various other pedals and I've enjoyed every moment since.My guitar tastes since 2000 have swung from adoring Gibson's , to hating the sound of them and being blown away by Fender teles and by how amazingly versatile they are.How have your guitar tastes or playing style changed since 2000 if any ?

enharmonic likes this.
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I've added 8-strings and fuzz pedals to my palette.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I switched from mainly electric (G&L guitars) to mainly acoustic (Lowden, Waterloo).

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Oh man, now that I think about it, not much!

70's tobacco burst les paul
    59 les paul junior
    52 reissue tele
    Harmony stratotone
    68 sg Special
    Rat, tube screamer, dd3, big muff, phase 100
    68 bassman

Tobacco R8 les paul
    Same 59 junior
    Same 52 tele
    Silvertone stratotone style
    62 sg special
    Box of rock, fd2, carbon copy, fuzz face, phase 90
    66 bassman

Keef Wichards and enharmonic like this.
  5. Sam Karnatz

Sam Karnatz Member

Found out about Leo guitars. Can't get enough strat & tele now....B-benders.

6. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Just testing a theory here but how old were you when you bought that tele?

7. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yep, for me I have gained an appreciation for more guitar types and find that different guitars bring out different things in my playing. Variety has expanded my expression.

8. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I spend almost no money on guitars anymore and way too much on golf.

pickaguitar likes this.
  9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Ha, are there golf forums where people get angry if you spend more than $5 on tees, or tell you that a $50 club is just as good as what pro golfers use? :rotflmao

10. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

11. Lobomov

Lobomov Member

Cliff notes: I no longer like guitars with tremolos. So no strats or super strats nor any bigsby or vibrola.

12. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I've changed several times over the years. I played electric in the 70's, changed to acoustic in the 80's and changed styles several times with that. Later I got back to electric when I bought an Ibanez S76 with Hummbuckers and got heavily into Santana, Sabbath, ZZ Top etc. When I bought a Strat, everything changed. Now I only play Hendrix, SRV, Robin Trower and currently learning some john Mayer. I sold the Ibanez and bought a second Strat and I think I'm happy now. (At least I hope so ;)).

13. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

I can't stand strats anymore. Plain old nothing fancy tele fo' me, please.

I've owned probably 30 to 35 strats since I got my first one in 1976, but gradually over the last ten years or so they've become an anathema to me. Anathema.... that's a big word.

14. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

In 2000, I was in PRS-land. Beautiful figured tops and the whole deal.

Now? The most expensive guitar I own is worth about $900. I've also stopped d*cking around with amps and gone full-blown modeling.

There's really no going back in either case, and it has nothing to do with cost.

15. soulohio

soulohio Member

no...except i want a swedish guitar that is all cool but i cannot remember

16. Telejester

Telejester Member

I wouldn't label myself a tele fan boy but there is just magic in a tele bridge pickup with everything being so clear and transparent that I just love it. Doesn't matter if it's cleans or dirty, the tele sounds just great to me.Nothing on one you don't need, no bells and whistles and ever notice how little you have to tune them.When I had historic les Paul's you lived in fear of ever dropping one, cleaning it with polish that had silicone in it , putting it on a stand with rubber touching the nitro. You knock a tele over and so what, it will be just fine with no broken headstock to worry about and I'd bet it will still be in tune.Took me a while to discover the magic of a tele, but now I'm there I'm in a happy place.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  17. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I've been and will always be a Les Paul man. The three I own give me all the shade variants
    on the sound I found that I could want for my kind of blues.

But I have added a pair of Flying Vs which I find solid for certain blues I play; and, a pair of
    Bohemian guitars (those oil-can guitars you may have seen) each of which has intriguing
    shades for slide guitar playing. (One is a single-P90; one is a custom-made double-humbucker
    model. Marry those to my Les Paul Classic and I have three perfect guitars for slide playing.)

18. Magic-Sam

Magic-Sam Member

Still just one Telecaster for me. tried a few others in music stores but nothing felt right enough to switch.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  19. Telejester

Telejester Member

I can fully understand your point.

A while back I went into a guitar store to buy strings.On the wall they had a custom shop heavily aged tele that I just had to try.If you imagine taking a guitar and tieing a rope around the neck and then the other end to your car rear bumper and then going for a drive.....well this guitar looked worse !! The nitro was all checked and the finish virtually worn off the back of the neck and that guitar rang as pure as a tuning fork. I tried it straight into a 65 Deluxe reverb reissue and it was sheer magic, Fender are making some incredible guitars these days for sure.

20. mdog114

mdog114 Member

Still play a Tele most of the time. Added a reverb pedal to my board, but I still don't use that effect much. My Badcat HC 15 & Fuchs ODS 30 are still my main amps, but I think they're only about 10-12 years old.