How have your music and gear tastes changed since you’ve been a TGP member?

Yamaha 350

I used to:
  • Only desire guitar that were designed in the ‘50s and early ‘60s.
  • Only play through tube amps.
  • Play with very little gain/OD.
  • Be extremely self conscious about my gear and playing.
  • Focus more on specs and tone than on playing.
  • Played acoustic probably 40-50% of the time.
Now I:
  • LOVE more modern gear that allows vintagey and modern rock tones and makes no sacrifices on playability (PRS 594s are currently my favorite).
  • Prefer to play through my Boss WAZA Air headphones rather than through any amp.
  • Pretty much only play electric guitar with varying amounts of gain/OD. Completely clean tones don’t excite me at all.
  • I’m a “set it and forget it” player when it comes to tone settings. Make it sound good and then focus on the playing.
  • I don’t even own an acoustic at the moment.
  • The most important change for me has been: if it doesn’t bring me joy or help me work through other feelings/emotions, I don’t give it any time.
How have your tastes changed since joining TGP?
No but you all let me know of custom builders and brands I never knew of. Then I want them.

Dirty Strings

Guitars have stayed the same for the most part. My favorites I got in the '90s and don't see that changing.

Amps haven't changed except I recently got a small Quilter amp to use with headphones at night.

Pedals I'm always seeing new ones I want but lately I've been able to hold off buying them, except the RE-202. Before TGP I was on harmony central and that's when my board grew quite a bit.

TGP is great for learning about small builders I didn't know about, especially guitars and amps. Haven't bought any but they're fun to look at here.

DiAmoroso

Gold Supporting Member
It would have happened with or without TGP, but when I joined I was a tube amp only kind of person. In the past few years I have opened up to modeling, and now love my Helix. Still love my Fender and Orange tube amps, but now I understand how great modeling is as well.

tracyk

I keep thinking that I should buy more stuff even though I know that I don't need it and won't use it for more than a few hours before it starts gathering dust.

Admittedly that was already kind of true, but now the stuff I'm looking at is more expensive and obscure.

Me Myself & I

No, but I always enjoy reading/learning about gear...and, of course, all of the cool pictures and conversations.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
My problem hasn’t been TGP. It’s that the internet killed all the cool guitar shops near me. I can’t spend hours or days trying things out. Instead I buy sight unseen and try to narrow down the risk with research. If it doesn’t work, off it goes and on to the next.

Gclef

I can't blame or praise tgp for any of my changing tastes.

I went from strats to superstrat/modern types to more classic designs.

From high output pickups to hot vintage pickups.

From big gainy tube amps to a very small tube amp with AIB pedals.

From high gain to much less gain overall

From figured/stained "wood library" looks to painted bodies with binding. 2/3 of my meager collection has it, and all my latest ones came with it. I never really gave it much thought. My latest will have it too. I really like binding.

I am more open to newer technologies like modeling and such.

The one glaring constant that never seems to change is my general suckiness. :cool:

proxy

I wouldn’t have any boutique or vintage guitars if it weren’t for TGP, and I’m grateful for the great information on the site.

wraub

When I came to TGP I had one guitar. Now, I have five guitars and parts for two others. Thanks, TGP!

RRfireblade

Always been really diverse, and it hasn't changed. So really the only thing that has changed is my feeling on TGPers. Lol.

Will Box

Dunno if it has to do with TGP, but I sort of got into archtops over the last few years...
Maybe has to do with TGP that I own five.

Beyer260

I used to be happy with the gear I had, but after joining TGP I realize I need to buy much more expensive stuff, and a lot of it!

Just kidding, I was a gear whore before I got here.

Strummerfan

My taste in gear hasn't changed much, but I never realized how much I missed my Teles until seeing all the beautiful teles you buggers have posted. I've always wanted a Gretsch White Falcon, now there are several Gretsch models I want. I have reaffirmed my belief that mid tier models are a far better value than upper crust models, in guitars, amps, and pedals.

Radius

I've been here on and off since 2008 or so and yes I've changed, but not because of TGP.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
Well. At that time all I had were Strats. Got into 335s and LPs. Now I play mostly my Broadcaster and LP Goldtop. Don’t know how TGP influenced it though.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
It's almost as if TGP has made me anti classic rock

I've been ambivalent about Classic Rock for a long time. I do play a lot of it (the market around here demands it), but given the choice I'll look for more modern or obscure stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom