How hot do you like your tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by War Admiral, Jul 31, 2006.

1. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

I have a '79 JMP MV with EL34's and I just did the mod of putting 1 ohm resistors from pin 1 to ground on each output tube. Cathode follower method I think. I know its not the most exact method for bias but I think its the easiest. I have about 390 VDC on the plates so about 36ma's for 70 percent. With this method you get the screens I think too in the measurement so 36 would be a little conservative(lower than 70 percent)
    Anybody Have this kind of amp and can tell me where a good ma reading would be?
    With the screens in the measurement, the voltage drop across the resistor to ground, the percentage will be lower than 70 @ 36ma's. I heard that these kind of amps like to be biased a little hotter to sound good. Does anybody know how I can subtract the screens from the measurement and get a more precise measurement? Its probably just a few ma's but it would be nice to know.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    70% is considered the max, 60% is more reasonable. Since there's virtually no screen current at idle (has anyone ever seen a voltage drop across screen resistors? I haven't) you can ignore that detail.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I like 'em hot enough to sound good and no hotter.

The best advice I ever got on the subject was to adjust the bias 'til you like the tone and then just check to make sure it's not too hot. Your ears are a much better judge of tone than a multimeter. :)

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

It depends on the tubes. Most EL-34's don't need to be run hot to sound good IMO, neither do most 6L6's but for some reason the chinese KT66's seem to need to run at about 75% to get a great tone.

Personally I like to bias about about 65%, listen for awhile, a few days. Heat 'em up to 70% and listen for awhile. If I hear a noticable difference I heat 'em up a little more and test again. Above 75% and you're just asking for trouble.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

60% usually... not many of my amps at 70%, bogner shiva is close to 70%..

6. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I agree bias 'em to taste then make sure they're not runnin' too hot and you're done!

7. kaseri

kaseri Member

60 - 65% has always worked for me.