1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

How hot do you like your tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by War Admiral, Jul 31, 2006.

1. War Admiral

War Admiral Member

I have a '79 JMP MV with EL34's and I just did the mod of putting 1 ohm resistors from pin 1 to ground on each output tube. Cathode follower method I think. I know its not the most exact method for bias but I think its the easiest. I have about 390 VDC on the plates so about 36ma's for 70 percent. With this method you get the screens I think too in the measurement so 36 would be a little conservative(lower than 70 percent)
    Anybody Have this kind of amp and can tell me where a good ma reading would be?
    With the screens in the measurement, the voltage drop across the resistor to ground, the percentage will be lower than 70 @ 36ma's. I heard that these kind of amps like to be biased a little hotter to sound good. Does anybody know how I can subtract the screens from the measurement and get a more precise measurement? Its probably just a few ma's but it would be nice to know.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    70% is considered the max, 60% is more reasonable. Since there's virtually no screen current at idle (has anyone ever seen a voltage drop across screen resistors? I haven't) you can ignore that detail.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I like 'em hot enough to sound good and no hotter.

The best advice I ever got on the subject was to adjust the bias 'til you like the tone and then just check to make sure it's not too hot. Your ears are a much better judge of tone than a multimeter. :)

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

It depends on the tubes. Most EL-34's don't need to be run hot to sound good IMO, neither do most 6L6's but for some reason the chinese KT66's seem to need to run at about 75% to get a great tone.

Personally I like to bias about about 65%, listen for awhile, a few days. Heat 'em up to 70% and listen for awhile. If I hear a noticable difference I heat 'em up a little more and test again. Above 75% and you're just asking for trouble.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

60% usually... not many of my amps at 70%, bogner shiva is close to 70%..

6. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I agree bias 'em to taste then make sure they're not runnin' too hot and you're done!

7. kaseri

kaseri Member

60 - 65% has always worked for me.