How I buy a guitar video....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Greg V., Aug 21, 2008.

1. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

2. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Member

Hi Greg, great idea, but the audio is a bit tricky - the guitar is way too loud compared to your voice. Try some leveling :)...

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Great, Greg, but I've never had a problem buying guitars. I need you to make me a video on playing guitars.:D

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Noteworthy & valid info! Wish I knew these things when I was passing through, probably would have saved a few bucks! :)

5. 3th3r

3th3r Member

+1

+2

6. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

Thanks Greg. Informative and delivered
    in a very Zen way. Some of you might
    not be aware, but Greg is one of the best
    guitarists around. Check out his albums.
    Great, great driving-at-night music. You
    can get a little taste by going to the Swart
    amp site and listening to the clips he did
    for the SpaceTone. :AOK

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Very cool Greg..

Did you record using the Mac Book Mic?

If you did you could set up your 003 as the audio input for your iMovie which would give you the ability to put a mic on the amp and a mic on you..

Just a thought.

The SST sounds cool by the way!

8. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Thanks everyone for checkin' out the movies and good words. I agree about the audio levels, I just used the built-in mic and camera from my MacBook Pro for these movies and that's a compromise at best. Realfi, good idea to use my 003 rig for the future, thanks for the tip.

Thanks again and have a cool weekend!

9. icepicka

icepicka Member

Hey man, the vids were real cool...if you feel like it, I reckon you could do an installment of how you check an electric out once you have gotten past the unplugged phase. Ie do you run it clean/dirty/with pedals/without pedals through different amps etc..i find one of the biggest problems is that when I plug it in, I am rarely playing through my amp and my pedals..anyway just thoughts.

10. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Hi Icepicka.

Glad you like the videos, thanks.... and yes once past the "acoustic test" plugging the guitar into your own rig (if possible) or a similar one is the next phase. I do play the guitar thru clean, semi-clean and dirty to see if the guitar passes those listening tests as well. As in retaining the same resonant, lively qualities and balanced tonal response. Sometimes a change of pickups, pots, bridge etc. can be all that's needed to "balance and blueprint" a guitar. Hopefully, for me, nothing needs to be changed and everything works and speaks as a whole.

There are many variables for sure and that's also why I recommend comparing several of the same guitar type in the video, if possible, to get the pick of the litter.