How important are stamped saddles to the Strat tone?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by duckbunny, Sep 20, 2008.

1. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Do the newer style MIA steel saddles, or graphtecs, for instance, change the sound noticeably?

-db

2. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Yep, it makes a difference especially at concert volumes ...

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Even at non-concert levels you can hear a difference than other dense steel saddles. There's a brighter sound in the stamped saddles and I hear a little more twang in them.

4. Martian

Martian Member

Absolutely!

5. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

And keep in mind that fender redisigned the am.std trem,using traditional bent steel saddles...way to go fender!!Add four extra pivot screws and you're done!!!

6. oxydon

oxydon Member

what do you mean by "pivot screws"? and why four? are you talking about basses?

7. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

I mean the screws where the trem pivots when we use the whammy bar!Am std trems have two,while the good old vintage strat trem has six,so...there are four screws missing!!!I'm just expressing my preference towards the traditional six-screw strat trem that's all!!!

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Not only is there a substantial difference between the block saddles and stamped saddles, but especially between steel and graphtech saddles. All the good that graphtech saddles do for tuning stability is negated by what they do to tone...the difference is staggering. They've since released a steel saddle with a graphite insert to minimize the effect, but it's still very different.