How important is a band name?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by spectreman, Feb 24, 2009.

1. spectreman

spectreman Member

We are going through the process (again) of trying to agree on a band name for our project. I have been the one booking gigs, so I have used the name we were originally discussing for the project (Verge of Bliss), without having everyone completetly on board with it.

[We decided on it because it is my wife's nickname (Verge) and our last name. She is the singer and lead songwriter for the band.]

I'm of the mindset that a band name isn't what makes or breaks you, rather it is the music and the on stage personna of the band members.

Band names over the years such as Pearl Jam, Guns N Roses, Electrical Light Orchestra, Led Zeppelin all probably sounded pretty corny at first, but they stand out.

I don't think there needs to be to much meaning behind the name that describes the type of music you play.

What do you think?

Should we reconsider the name and start back at square one?

Nobody has any better suggestions, they just aren't sure about it.

Thoughts?

2. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Just went through it, see in the pub.
    It is a hassle...The best thing IMO, nothing with a negative in it.(bar/dead/bad/sucker...you get the idea)
    Then take it from there......
    In the end, have one person make the decision and roll with it.

3. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

It's a cool name -- even without the connections to your names.

Most band names really take on importance once the band is successful. The Beatles? Come on. Actually, as long as the name isn't inconsistent with your style or just horrible, once a band is successful, the name is just associated with the band and not what the words mean.

I never got pictures of insects in my head when I listened to the Beatles, even as a child. (I know there is a spellig difference)

Of course, if all your posters, stage props, and CD covers had pictures of beetles on them, you might get a different result.

4. devinb

devinb Member

I've seen a great band break up over tension over a name...sad...

I like to be optimistic when I enter into something, so I treat the name like a tattoo, and want it to be something I think I can live with...

Plenty of bands with names that I think are awful have a legacy...

5. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

IMHO No one cares but you. Name the band Cheese Sandwich if it makes you happy.

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

THIS is going to cause you many more problems than your band name.

;)

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I just can't see the Golliwogs being nearly as successful as Creedence Clearwater Revival. :confused:

8. spectreman

spectreman Member

Trust me....I know!!!

After having some 'issues' with my constructive criticism, we now only discuss her/our music in the presence of a third party to keep it from getting...shall we say...too emotional.

It has worked well for the last couple of months and we've only had one slip up a couple weeks ago (and it was my fault for bringing it up).

9. The Captain

The Captain Member

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

love the name, hopefully you can succeed.

11. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Member

I think the name is good, and you are correct in that the name isn't critical to success. Hmmmmm.......
    "No one has any better suggestions, they just aren't sure about it."
    Have you asked the what they aren't sure about? It may be something else than the name.

12. stevel

stevel Member

So, you mean, on the edge of orgasm, correct?

If you want the not-so-subtle double entendre, it's there. If you're playing family gigs, maybe it's obscure enough that the it will go completely over the young ones' heads, and the those who should be getting it (the entendre) will.

If you're playing weddings...hmm - might be OK for some, might be offensive to others.

Of course in this politically correct era, you're always going to offend someone, so, take the good with the bad.

So of course it's obviously logical and a nice tie in. Don't tell us what she's on the Verge of :)

I disagree in that I think it can break you. Offensive names can lose you lots of potential gigs. If you're a bluegrass band and you name yourself NWA Redux, you might lose some potential gigs (not to mention copyright infringement suits).

Well, Pearl Jam comes from "aunt Pearl's Jam (jelly). Led Zep came from a quote from another famous musician. So they're "in" jokes.

ELO sort of tells what they were about.

Didn't Guns and Roses come from Tracii Guns and Axl Rose (or did they change their names after the fact?).

So that's more like your name.
    If it pigeon-holes you, or causes pre-conceived notions, it would likely be a bad thing.

I think it's a cool name - sort of like "on the verge of success". But it's also got the sexual connotation for those who like to read those things into things - intentional on your part or not.

So I think you should just be aware of the ramifications (boy, someone could think something about that word!).

HTH,
    Steve

13. The Captain

The Captain Member

LA Guns and Hollywood Rose actually.
    Do you really think Traci Gunns is his real name ?

14. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

stevel,

You migh want to rethink that Pearl Jam story...I believe that's how they initially sold it in interviews, but... :)

Jim

15. Grun

Grun Member

Depends what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to be cool, better have a cool name. If you don't care that much well then. At the level most of the folks on this board are at, probably doesn't matter that much. A good name goes along with a good look and even good individual band members' names in the eye of the public. Another piece of the package and very important if you are looking to get lots of attention. Trying to predict what's cool and what will be cool for a time to come is what's hard. Who is 'we'?

16. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking to play more than covers in a smoky bar - yes, it matters. When I was working with the label, even my name was modified a few times before we just used "Dave" vs. David or my middle name, etc, etc.

I've seen some great bands with horrible names that were passed up by the label just bc they weren't taking their "band" seriously. Its a crazy world in that business...

17. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

+1. If it's a cover band, it doesn't matter as long as people remember it. There was a band in Albuquerque called "Booger". Everyone loved them and they always played to packed houses. Gross but memorable. If you want to do more though, the band name is fairly important for your credibility and as an indication of your music style.

18. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

as of now, my band's name is buttery sweetness, so yours can't be all that bad.