• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How important is an ATA roadcase for gigging?

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious as to how you folks feel about the ATA flight-style road case is for gigging. I'm doing a lot of festivals and medium sized venues lately and I have only been using the slip cover for my amp head, but I'm starting to get concerned about transporting it, etc. How important is a roadcase, in your opinion?

ArtDecade

Accidents happen. I feel more secure knowing that the amp is safe at larger festivals in a road case. At smaller gigs, I prefer to use the house amp(s).

DonaldDemon

I had one for my Rivera KHR and it was a total PITA to lug around, needed two people to carry it. I roll with a padded case now or if you can find one those old Marshall tote cases are great. Soft case with wheels and a front pocket, it's all I use now. Got one used on CL

amphog

As said in previous threads, if you transport your gear in a passenger vehicle, and handle it yourself, a good padded cover and a hand truck will work better. If you move your gear in a truck or trailer with a ramp, and other people handle it, a road case is the way to go. If you ship your gear by air, or other common carrier you need ATA rated cases for insurance purposes.

Last edited:

Hefalump

Depends on the amp.

If you are running a Rivera, I would NOT bother with a case, seeing how they are totally indestructible.

dewey decibel

I had to drive my amp in the case from my place to the trailer a couple times, it was always a huge PITA trying to get it in and out of my back seat. For anything but touring with a trailer I'm quite content with a cover. If I need wheels I'll use a hand truck.

Do you use an ATA road case for you guitars for local gigs? I'm gonna guess most just rock gig bags. And guitars are much more fragile than amps.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
If the band travels together, cases > bags.
If you show up to the gig in your own car, load and unload on your own, then it is totally your deal.

If there is any chance someone else is driving and/or moving your gear, your owe it to them to have a durable case to ease their liability while being a team player.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
ATA cases look so cool. My '83 Boogie is in perfect shape, having always traveled in a case.

Heck yeah they look cool! If you have gear you care about at all and do ANY frequent travel-they not only will keep your gear working but from getting trashed!

( flight cases have come WAY sown the past 15 years)

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
Guy I play with uses one, it's a PITA. Makes a heavy amp even heavier, bulkier and more cumbersome. Unless you're touring, I'd think twice.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a case that fits my amp heads, and I never use it. I am a local player and don't like the weight and how it beats up the inside of the vehicle and house walls. So it's set aside only for use when an amp has to be shipped to the hospital. Which thankfully hasn't happened in a long time. If I used a small vintage combo with no wheels like a Deluxe Reverb, I might go for it, but it makes no sense for me.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
My band frequently handles my gear when I'm not around, I.e. loading the bus the night after practice for the gig. I went ahead and ordered a case this morning. I do really care about my gear so you guys really put that in perspective for me.

Silent Sound

As said in previous threads, if you transport your gear in a passenger vehicle, and handle it yourself, a good padded cover and a hand truck will work better. If you move your gear in a truck or trailer with a ramp, and other people handle it, a road case is the way to go. If you ship your gear by air, or other commmon carrier you need ATA rated cases for insurance purposes.
If you didn't misspell the word "common", this would have been a perfect post!

RAR

As some have mentioned... if you load and unload yourself, then maybe. If drunk friends help you pack up and load your stuff, definitely!