• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How important is it for strings to line up over pole pieces?

Mr. Bertha

I've got an old non reverse firebird that is in players condition. The bridge is a badass type replacement and the p90s are also not original. It plays great and sounds great, and I'm inclined not to fix what isn't broken, but here is the deal. The strings don't line up ovver the poles. Not even close. They are about 1/3 between the poles on the bass side of each pole. I can see that the strings are closer to the edge ok the low e side, bit it doesn't feel or play badly. I think the bridge is out of line because the saddles don't line up with the old vibrato tail slots. I don't use the vibrato, bit it's still on the guitar. It intonates perfectly and holds tune like a champ. Should I be worried about the alighnmrnt of the bridge if I experience no ill effects? It's an old guitar and I'd hate to have major surgery on it. Thanks.

jaycee

Should I be worried about the alighnmrnt of the bridge if I experience no ill effects?
I would say absolutely not as long as it sounds/plays good and all the strings ring the same, meaning none are louder/softer than the others. Like you said, don't fix what's working.

Mr. Bertha

I do find the open G rings louder... Or at least is very dominant sounding. Never occurred to me it could be caused by the alignment. Could it?

Tweedledee

I do find the open G rings louder... Or at least is very dominant sounding. Never occurred to me it could be caused by the alignment. Could it?
You could try adjusting the pole piece under that string a little lower and see if that evens things out a bit.

Try a wound string on the 'G'. See if it is something you can at least tolerate at first. You might come to really like it and it will pull the 'G' string back to the same output as the others. I have that on a couple guitars. Almost like an Esquire, it forces you out of old habits and you have to find new, different ways to get the job done.

Southern ILL

I use Topload tele half bridges with P-90s'.....I do raise the pole pieces slightly on the B-E strings...little bit on the G sometimes....I don't have any problems and ain't nothing cooler than the half tele bridge/P-90 combo.

r9player

Gold Supporting Member
Since it sounds fine, obviously the magnetic field is doing its work.
If you feel there is room for improvement I would first play with the pole piece heights.

teletran1175

IMHO With humbuckers, it's far less important to have alignment. As long as the strings are all over the bobbins and reasonably straight, it should not greatly affect the sound.
I believe single coils are a different matter.

Trending Topics