how important is pedal board looks?

vintagedeluxe

i just spent the last almost 2 days rearranging my board cause of new gear, because i couldn't find a setup that was visually appealing. am i the only one who does such a thing??

6Tones

I personally like a bikini clad babe sprawled out next to my power supply but if not thats ok ill survive :)

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I like how mine looks to be as clean as possible...but useable! and easily able to switch out pedals from gig to gig.
also powersupplies (wallwarts) seem to never look clean...
Usability my friend!

jaymeister

I had a feng shui decorator choose my pedals...the considerations were color, jack orientation, and the number of knobs and switches had to be in perfect alignment. I always lay my pedal board facing west unless I am standing toward a doorway, then the gig luck flows in the wrong direction.

ShavenYak

If it's too haphazard, then it will be awkward to use. But if visual aesthetics are your only consideration, the reality of signal flow can leave you with a spiderweb of cabling underneath that will interfere with troubleshooting. The secret is finding the compromise that works for you.

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
i just spent the last almost 2 days rearranging my board cause of new gear, because i couldn't find a setup that was visually appealing. am i the only one who does such a thing??
If you were the only one, we wouldn't be on the 17th thread of "Show Us Your Pedalboard" with 1000+ posts per......

ttasselm

The first test when I make any purchase is obviously the sound. A close second, in a photo finish, is the appearance.

If a pedal doesn't look good to me, then I usually fix it myself. It's pretty easy to take a pedal apart, strip the box, and paint it (assuming, of course, you like the pedal enough not to kill the re-sale value). I've done this with my Biyang Tri-Reverb, as well as a Dyna Comp and tap tempo switch. This rule also applies to guitars - I enjoy re-finishing them if I don't like the factory look. The way I see it, a piece of equipment is a piece of art. If I like to look at something, there's a good chance I'll enjoy playing it more.

The actual layout of the pedals doesn't really matter to me, though, as long as the switches are easily accessible without stepping on other pedals' knobs...sometimes this means just sprawling them out on the floor pretty haphazardly; other times they're neatly lined up on the board. Whatever works.

fritferret

nothing wrong w/ wanting things to look good and taking the time to make them look good. i despise the opinion the only thing that matters is the tone and because of that, aesthetics doesn't matter. wrong--i want to sound good and look good. why wouldn't i?

Heady Jam Fan

nothing wrong w/ wanting things to look good and taking the time to make them look good. i despise the opinion the only thing that matters is the tone and because of that, aesthetics doesn't matter. wrong--i want to sound good and look good. why wouldn't i?
I sit on that fence. I like to think I am a minimalist to some degree, but when designing a custom guitar, I ended up with gorgeous swamp ash and figured maple, lol - I swear it is for tone!

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
If you were the only one, we wouldn't be on the 17th thread of "Show Us Your Pedalboard" with 1000+ posts per......
Yap. THIS is the place for such a thing. You would get different points of view on The Gigging Musician Page, but TGP is pretty much gear nuts united.

Catoogie

Visual appeal is of ZERO importance to real players because they're too busy making music and using the pedals as what they are, tools to enhance your playing. They are a means to an end. NOT the end.

Everyone on TGP does this, because the only thing that matters is the next picture you're going to post in the next "Show me your pedalboard"-thread

After you've posted that picture you need to hurry to re-arrange it and make it neater, with more rare pedals for next week when the new "Show me your pedalboard"-thread appears :)

Best regards -T

Trending Topics