How important is resonance frequency when running a modeler into a power amp and guitar cab

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by bdrepko, Mar 17, 2019.

1. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

I have read a few articles about the Fractal modelers and setting the resonance frequency to get the most thump when using a power amp and guitar cabinet. How important is this really, and how do you achieve this with other modelers? Specifically the Helix.

2. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

I've tried for years to find this magical resonance frequency using the prescribed method of using a peaking filter after the amp and looping some chugga chugga through the front. When I set the resonant frequency after I think I've "found" it, it really doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot, or it's really subtle. I've not had any "eureka" moments in trying to tweak this parameter. And I've tried lots.

As far as how to do that with the Helix, I find the Helix doesn't seem to need a lot of low end help when running through a standard guitar cab using a solid state power amp. It just seems to work well that way.

Gasp100 likes this.
  3. vangrieg

vangrieg Member

Well, it’s important in that it sounds better, more like a tube amp.

I don’t think Helix has this setting.

4. bdrepko

Have you tried using the synth block method to sweep the frequency to try to find it?

5. bdrepko

Yeah, I havent found anything. I need to use the Helix for a show where I will be running into the effects loop of a Marshall JCM900 and would like to be able to get the best results given I will have little time to set up.

6. Yek

Yek Member

Matching the resonant frequency can be important to those who really want that bottom end “push”.

Personally I find that it gets in the way of the bass and don’t care about it much. The Low Freq parameters can be useful for tweaking though, not just to find the resonant.

Larry Eh? likes this.
  7. Karl Houseknecht

Yep, I’ve tried all those methods. I’m not saying it doesn’t work. You can find the frequency. I’m just saying I don’t notice a lot of difference once it’s set.

8. vangrieg

vangrieg Member

If you’re running it through a tube amp’s loop, and assuming this means that the amp is driving the cabinet, you don’t need this at all - the amp and the cabinet will resonate on their own.

9. Karl Houseknecht

Whoops! Yep, missed that. This parameter is only important when running into a solid state poweramp.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I've actually run the Helix (LT) into a JCM900 Dual Reverb many times. believe it or not it sounded best with cab sims ON. That's how bright those amps are, of course this was a full stack and the 4x12 was behind me...

bdrepko likes this.