How important is speaker wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by biggreen, Jun 12, 2008.

1. biggreen

biggreen Member

Obviously you don't want to have a speaker that has a lower wattage rating than your amp, but what if it is higher? What if it is significantly higher IE: a 125 watt speaker in a 5 watt amp? :D Obviously the speaker probably won't break up, but does that matter when you are using pedals for that anyway? Will it be quieter overall than a properly rated speaker? Is it just plain crazy?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Pedals emulate amp distortion, not speaker. Some people like the sound of speakers distorting, others don't, so that may come into play.

Otherwise speaker wattage being significantly higher than amp wattage won't make any difference at all.

3. biggreen

biggreen Member

Thanks, that is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure before I make my decision.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Volume wise its all in the sensitivity specs. There are plenty of low wattage speakers that will be less loud than higher wattage speakers.

A 20 watt Heritage G12M is rated at 96 db. A 100 watt G12K-100 is rated at 99db. The G12K-100 will produce the same volume with 1/2 the wattage as the G12M. Bob

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well I would say there is a big difference in lower vs higher wattage speakers....not just in sound but in feel.
    The word compression is a big part of lower wattage speakers and if you like the feel and compression that comes with pushing a speaker close to it's rated output then you won't like higher wattage speakers with low watt amps.

On the other hand if you're looking for largely an uncompressed, uncoloured sound and using more pedals and effects ...................
    then higher wattage will be better...........

Rick