How important is the fidelity of effects to you?

Pastafarian

I guess I am lucky in that I do not get too picky with effects. For example If a phaser swooshes the way I like and a digital delay is tweakable to 375ms 25fb with an adjustable mix level I am pretty happy. Tremolo too as long as it has speed and intensity settings I am happy. I think really the only ones I am picky about are pitch shift and reverb but even then if the tracking isn't horrible and I can find a decent plate reverb I'm good.

I don't get into hi/lo cuts in reverbs and delays or dotted eighth and all that stuff. I have 2 different settings I use for delays and one is just setting the ms to 500 and a high mix.

PaisleyWookie

Depends on the effect, I guess. I almost universally hate digital modulation. Reverb is tough too, as is delay. I think people split hairs over OD’s too much though.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
All the pedals I use these days have great Fidelity but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I run my guitar amps very clean with a slight break up sometimes and I use hempcone speakers like the cannabis Rex or the tone Tubby’s. I run them all through the front of the amp and still have great clarity with the reverb and delay pedals

LaXu

The quality of fx can sometimes be difficult to assess without having a frame of reference. Like for example Helix legacy reverbs sound alright, but if you put them against something quality like Helix Native reverbs vs the Fractal FAS-Fx Reverb plugin you start to notice just how bad they are in comparison. Same thing for its stock cab sims vs good IRs.

It's hard to get actually bad effects in anything anymore. I am not a huge effects guy so for me a really good delay and a really good reverb goes very far.

Tito83

Depends on what you can "fidelity". Making something sound good has very little to do with it. But there are some effects that are tried and true and have a certain type of sound we all expect from it. Anyone who has played a tube screamer enough knows how it sounds and we also know that there are slight variations. If the model sounds within that range of what I expect from a tube screamer and I can get good sounds, and it also feels good under the fingers, you won't see me complaining because it doesn't sounds exactly match John Mayer's favorite TS10. That goes for most effects, amps and everything else really.

Now, the quality of an effect is another thing. Helix's reverbs are subpar in comparison to what we have today IMO. Live it does the job, but I cannot see myself sending a track for a job I got hired to using Helix's reverbs. It may get a pass, but once you go for the good plugin the difference is rather big (as far as reverbs go, and I get a lot of users don't really care about it). I do use the delays sometimes, but 90% of the time I use other plugins.

Digital Larry

I'll worry about that stuff when the guitar sound is the worst thing about my recordings. Presently it's most likely, in reverse order (best on top):

0 - the way everything sounds
1 - bass playing
2 - rhythm guitar playing
3 - song writing
4 - singing
5 - lead guitar playing
6 - drum programming
7 - keyboards/electronic sounds

Keep in mind that this is just a relative scale and I'm not saying my recordings sound better than any of yours.

I don't track with a lot of effects most of the time, preferring to add them in the DAW, especially tempo synced delays. I track guitar with a little reverb sometimes, and sometimes I capture loops into a pedal with more glop added just to have a relatively unusual place to start for whatever if anything comes next.

Guitardave

I guess I am lucky in that I do not get too picky with effects. For example If a phaser swooshes the way I like and a digital delay is tweakable to 375ms 25fb with an adjustable mix level I am pretty happy. Tremolo too as long as it has speed and intensity settings I am happy. I think really the only ones I am picky about are pitch shift and reverb but even then if the tracking isn't horrible and I can find a decent plate reverb I'm good.

I don't get into hi/lo cuts in reverbs and delays or dotted eighth and all that stuff. I have 2 different settings I use for delays and one is just setting the ms to 500 and a high mix.

Great topic and I'm like you. I just want it to sound great for my standards.

For most of my playing needs I typically prefer "guitar effects" designed to run into the front of an amp and hear the sound coming directly from the guitar cab. No mic, no post processing and playback thru some other method. I think for live playing it works better for me. So does running mono.

I do like the delay with tap tempo because it just sounds more musical to me when the delays are related to the beat. The dotted eight thing is for that "cascading" sort of effect that you get from playing straight notes and having the delay fill in the rest. But you had better have your timing and technique really clean or it sounds like sh*t if the mix is up high. Albert Lee uses it from time to time and it's a great sound.

Mostly I find people infatuated with trying to approach things like a studio recording. And that's where the fidelity thing really is a bigger deal. I sold off numerous Strymon pedals because it's just not the sound I hear in my head....too hi-fi and perfect. I went to the Rubberneck delay and I'm much happier with that than the Brigadier I had.

I already went thru the whole rack and stereo rig phase and realized it's not important enough to bother with it. That's part of what bugs me about modeling gear...it's almost always in stereo and leans towards that sort of "hi-fi" sound in everything. Not what I typically like but at times I enjoy it especially at home if I'm trying to do some recording and listening thru studio monitors. Then it's nice.

Mostly I've just accepted that I prefer hearing guitar speakers directly. But that's me...

Alex Kenivel

At first, not very. My analog gear wasn't much anything to write home about before I got into digital modeling gear :anon

metropolis_4

When you say “fidelity” of effects, what do you mean?

Fidelity to what?

Do you mean the degree of exactness of models to the effects they are modeling?

Chumlee

Or does he mean how well the initial signal is preserved? Because if it’s the preservation of the original signal, then that's rather difficult to answer to say the least, given that the effects themselves must modify the original signal. In sum (and I mean no offense) it's clear the original poster did not think through the implications of his question.

No big deal, no harm done, and an interesting exercise in definitions and intent if nothing else.