• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

How important is the shape of a guitar's neck to you?

How important is the shape of a guitar's neck to you?

• Not important. I can play any neck shape.

• Somewhat important.

• Very important. I like to have a certain neck shape.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Figaro

Supporting Member
I like rounder, fatter shaped necks because they are more comfortable for me to play.

tonegangster

Silver Supporting Member
Very important!! It doesn't always have to be the same shape for me to enjoy playing it but, I do tend to like certain shapes better than others. I know it when I pick it up

rawkguitarist

I'm not super picky... I just don't like inconsistencies between my guitars. So my favorite neck at the time of my first custom guitar was a PRS McCarty Rosewood... I gave my builder those dimensions and he's built me 4 necks based on those dimensions. They all come out feeling slightly different, since they're hand shaped necks, but they're so close there's no acclimation issues.

scott520

Supporting Member
VERY! Its one of my "make or break" details. I have permanent nerve damage in my left arm. Smaller neck shapes and oddly enough V necks aggravate the condition. Fortunately for me, I preferred baseball bat necks before the nerve damage became an issue.

SPROING!

Whatever. It's down the list of things that matter. I've owned Godins with pencil necks all the way to my Silvertone with a tree trunk of a V. There's something to like about all of em.

RCM78

It's the first thing I notice. I like a chunky neck that fills my hand. Preferably an asymmetrical profile like the Peavey Wolfgang or Fender SRV. The big chunky neck on my Jackson PC1 is also good.

choucas09

Although I have a preference my collection of 15 is all over the place in every department. At the end of the day if I like a guitar I'll adapt.

Kostas

Very important. I like thick necks that's why I'm making my own guitars from parts.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Gold Supporting Member
probably the most important thing to me in terms of feel is the neck... actually, I know it is! It's the only reason why I sell guitars - the neck doesn't cut it. Not thick enough!

GCDEF

Supporting Member
I can play a thin neck if I have to, but I like fat a lot better. I won't buy a guitar with a thin neck.

straycat113

For me it ranks right near the top and easily can be a deal breaker. I believe mainly anyone can be handed a guitar with any kind of neck and do the job, but not many would want to take it home. Personally I prefer a chunky neck though I also am not crazy about a baseball bat. I don't know how many used guitars I have bought through the decades, but the one bona fide deal breaker was any guitar with a ding or gouge in the back of the neck.

derekd

Supporting Member
probably the most important thing to me in terms of feel is the neck... actually, I know it is! It's the only reason why I sell guitars - the neck doesn't cut it. Not thick enough!
I'm here too. I have fairly big hands and my hand gets tired after a couple of hours of playing a thinner neck. Plus, having a thick chunk of wood there helps with teh tone.

NewbyRock023

I can still play any neck shape, some guitars charm is in their particular neck profile. That said I have a preference and if given the choice it will almost always be a deal breaker.

Voodoo Blues

Very important! I really choke the neck when I play and I can really dig into a fat chunky neck. Skinny necks just feel fragile.

pattste

Gibson '60s slim taper profile on all three of my electrics. I guess that answers it.

MartinC

Was going to say "very important" but with a minute's reflection, I realised the facts say otherwise.

When ordering my Suhr Classic and buying my PRS Mira (my top shelf stuff) I chose what I wanted neck-wise ... and wouldn't have accepted anything else.

But I also have a G&L Tribute Classic (my pick-it-up-and-play guitar that I also let my kids (8 and 5) use). I didn't care about the neck, which is much slimmer than I would chose if I wasn't at the budget end of the rack ... the value for money was so extreme I couldn't pass on it. And the neck honestly doesn't stop me from enjoying playing it.

So, I have to say "somewhat important"

Last edited: