How important to YOU is...'Pretty'??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Sid

Sid Member

I love pretty pedals...:crazy ITS TRUE...

I love nice shiny ones....I love ones with beautiful women on them...I love graphics and nice fonts...I love nice big shiny knobs......(I think Skreddy pedals allowing any picture on your pedal is the coolest thing by far)

I especially hate it when the only pedal that give me the sound i want is a hunka crap metal...and looks like that thing growing on the side of your table....

So how important is it to you?Have you ever bought a pedal cos it just looked so damn good(ofcos it shld sound decent enuff too) or rejected a pedal cos it looked like roadkill...:dude

2. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

For me I don't care what it looks like.

I just hate how HUGE some pedals are when they don't have to be at all! (cough EH cough)

3. bushido

bushido Member

not at all.. in fact, i think beatup pedals look kind of cool (my 70's smallstone is one of my favorites).

4. Sid

Sid Member

hehe yea big pedals are a lil discouraging esp if they dun need that space...lol..

but i mean soe pedals...look at pete cornish..u think he could make it just a lil 'prettier'....

i like pretty boards...throw on some sunbrust colours..some graphics....maybe some brilliant bjf colours...

5. erksin

erksin Member

I think how a pedal looks can SOMETIMES be an indicator of build quality - but I'm fine with utilitarian cosmetics if it sounds great and is built well. I have more than few fugly boxes on my board:

[​IMG]

But I see your point - I could never bring myself to buy a Moolon for example, the looks do absolutely nothing for me...

6. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

As long as they are not plain metal housing like loop master. Maybe on two like that don't bother. But pretty in all is 15% of a difference in buying a pedal. I definitely wont pay more for graphics if it more than 10 buck or so.

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

If I had 5 TS-Clones to chose from and they were all from diff builders and one of them looked really hip as opposed to the others, I'd buy the hip looking one (all other factors being the same); but I've have never bought anything based on looks alone - not even my girlfriend.

8. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Absolutely unimportant to me...I mean, when you're playing, you only glance at a pedal out of the corner of your eye. Right? Pedals should be designed with nothing but utility in mind...IMO.

That's like passing up a killer guitar because you don't like the paint.

9. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

+1- I love the look of a Green Russian Muff Aliminium case with half the paint off of it.

10. Sid

Sid Member

i see the whole arguement of utility and sure if a guitar plays killer...its good buti mean...if something similar is coming with a prs finish(the finish being the only difference) i would dfinitely take it up....:crazyguy or atleats think abt it...

erksin:its kinda funny tho how u put the ugliest pedals on your board on a pedestal..lolz:nono :D

11. erksin

erksin Member

Or farthest away - it's all in how you look at it!

12. Sid

Sid Member

lolz....but i think the strobostomp looks kinda cool...like one of those buggy cars....

am still convincing myself that the DLS chorus vib isnt all ugly...I wonder if could just throw on some paint and some graffitti with a gel pen to completely mess it up...and pass it off as artsy:messedup

13. mild

mild Member

Its not important at all to me...

[​IMG]

However, upon borrowing a friends AYA R-Comp compressor, my flatmates deemed it "the best pedal ever" - they didn't even care what it did... :D

14. Sid

Sid Member

i second that motion
    :AOK

15. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I s'pose the appearance of my pedals would be more important if I played a lot of shoegaze... ;)

As it is, I tend to avoid pedals that appear to have been cobbled together on someone's dining room table. Other than that, appearances don't matter all that much.

16. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Built to last and great sound are the priorities, not the looks. That said, I like to use things that look like they were built by professionals and not by kids in metal shop.

The Dano minis were cute, and some sounded good, but they aren't up to the long haul.

17. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I go both ways on this topic - I love my ChoralFlange and my ZIM - both are great pedals that the builders went the extra yard to put their electronics inside a unique and well concieved box. On the other hand, I love my Lovepedals and have bought a few that consist of a box with a knob or two and that is it. I like a good looking box as much as the next guy, but what is inside the box is far more important to me than what is on the outside.

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

looks are of no consequence to me. Size is a definite consideration though.

19. Franklin

Franklin Member

If you're gonna buy a girlfriend that's one time you should be biased towards looks!!

:jo

20. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

almost irrelevant