How in the heck have I never heard of Umphrey's Mcgee until today?

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I don't get it..flipping channels I see them live on AXS and they are belting out this incredible 12-15 minute stuff so much like old Prog that I love, with even a smattering of Dream Theater thrown in!!!!..and after a few minutes with Google, I see they have been around for freaking YEARS..!!!!:jo

How in the heck did this happen?:confused::confused: It must have been a hellaciously big rock I been hiding under..!!!:dude

arfalax

Saw them after Anchor Drops was released in Houston at a small club. Was a really nice show and a lot of great music.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Great band and players but like other jam bands vocals are pretty bad.

Almost to the point of being unlistenable. Which is a shame because they are ridiculously good otherwise!

I like that they're a great jam band than actually makes great albums. Their podcast is great for long trips (double entendre intended).

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
These guys are GREAT players!

Most of them are from my neighborhood...literally.
Both guitarists (Jake and Brendan) grew up 1-2 miles from me.
Whenever they come back to town, it's a PARTY.
And, for my $$$, Kris Meyers is one of the finest drummers on the planet...bar NONE.

'Anchor Drops' is my fave CD.

S.
j

Last edited:

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I recorded the "Red, Rock, and Blue" that was on AXS.tv live last night recorded over a couple nights at Red Rocks. The guy is no "Patsy Cline" but I thought he was pretty good and DAMN they got some chops!!

sleewell

they are amazing. been seeing them for years, before they were big. saw them in a barn at a tiny festy in 2003, was a blast. seen em for nye in chicago a bunch.

really really talented musicians, they are getting better and better.

Two-Octave

Here they are kickin' it old school with a cover song last week. Kris on vocals,Jake playing drums.

thornie

Silver Supporting Member
Dream Theater for the Phish crowd. Cool band, really great musicians. Not a fan of jam bands at all, but I can totally watch one of their shows and dig it.

cram

I've enjoyed two of their concerts fully. They are great musicians and I don't care what box someone might put them in, I had fun.

Kooshball

my favorite...and they are all just as nice and down to earth as they are talented.

I can see why some people might not dig the vocals but I like them
My favorite studio album is safety in numbers but the live show is where its at.

78deluxe

I don't get it..flipping channels I see them live on AXS and they are belting out this incredible 12-15 minute stuff so much like old Prog that I love, with even a smattering of Dream Theater thrown in!!!!..and after a few minutes with Google, I see they have been around for freaking YEARS..!!!!:jo

How in the heck did this happen?:confused::confused: It must have been a hellaciously big rock I been hiding under..!!!:dude

13 posts and no-one has the decency to point you here:

http://archive.org/browse.php?collection=UmphreysMcGee&field=year

for shame TGP...for shame. :cry:

:)

jeffm725

you see their second set last night? Covers picked by fans and incredible:
12. Help On the Way ->
13. Slipknot! ->
14. Jessica
15. Girlfriend is Better ->
16. Fool In The Rain ->
17. Halloween Theme ->
18. Fool In The Rain
19. Forty Six & 2
20. Roundabout
21. Money For Nothing
22. Another Brick in the Wall/Thriller
23. Encore Break
24. Ophelia ->
25. Miss Tinkle's Overture

Two-Octave

They toured in 2011 as a 'backing band' during the summer. Huey Lewis And The rUMors,plenty of clips available at all the regular places. It was cool.

clintb

I discovered Umphrey's McGee about 4 or 5 years ago, but I don't remember how. I you like progressive rock and/or jam bands, you might like them.

I bought their "Anchor Drops" album. It's pretty good, but like others said, they don't have the best vocals. It's not that they sing out of tune or have annoying voices, it's that the vocals are nothing special or unique. It kind of reminds me of Santana, a great band with faceless singers.

I'm surprised you saw them on TV. I don't get the AXS TV channel. Never heard of it until now. it must be a pretty cool channel if they play concerts from bands like Umphrey's McGee.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom