How is Comp Cut different than the Fatboost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Feb 9, 2012.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

and which do you guys prefer?

2. jkokura

jkokura Member

They're very different, as long as the 'fat boost' you're meaning an 'comp cut' you're meaning are the ones I think you're meaning.

Comp Cut usually refers to the compression removal switch as a feature of the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. Essentially what you're doing there is removing the clipping diodes/transistors from the circuit, creating a gain circuit without the distortion creating feature of clipping diodes. In effect, this increases the volume, and removes some of the 'grit' you'd normally find by using the vintage or mosfet clipping options.

A Fat boost may refer to many different circuit options. By using the idea of 'boost' literally, chances are that what you're talking about is a switch that would alter a circuit's filtering to create a 'fattening' of the signal being provided. Chances are that this is either included in the input or the tone stack of the circuit. Often the percieved or actual sonic result would be a raising of the lower mid-mid frequency ranges being put out by the pedal, or in a lowering of the upper mid-upper frequency range. Either or, produces a similar effect.

Oh, and because they are so different, I can't say I prefer one over the other. Both of them are useful features of a circuit depending on the rig and the situation applied.

Jacob

3. billyg121

yeah,im specifically refering to the FD2 and the FB3 by Fulltone. with the FD2 set up in comp cut for clean boost.

4. jkokura

jkokura Member

Yes, completely different circuits with completely different applications.

Hope I answered your question well, let me know if anything was unclear or if you have more.

Jacob

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Well, they are very different EQ wise, but have some similar boost capabilities. I prefer Comp Cut, and I use this setting exclusively on my FD2 (pre-mosfet). I run it at 18V.

Comp Cut cuts some bass, and can be very bright, depending on the tone knob setting. You can add or subtract treble from the signal. To my ears, it boosts some mids, though not as much as Vintage mode does. In addition to boosting volume, some low gain grit can be added.

The Fat Boost 3 can add bass, unlike the FD2. However, it can only roll treble off, it can't add any. To my ears, it sounded like the midrange may have been a bit scooped in most settings, not much though. Basically, the EQ is the exact opposite of the FD2. The only similarity is that both can boost volume, and some low gain grit can be added. On the FB3, the gain/drive knob does seem to add some hi-fi sounding glassiness at higher settings.

One of the biggest differences is the FB3 can be set as a true clean boost, with neutral EQ, if set right. The FD2 isn't as transparent. Also, the FB3 can be cleaner, with more headroom and more volume on tap. Both can be run at 18V.

I personally think the FD2 does better at boosting a dirty amp, and the FB3 does better with a cleaner amp, though they can each go either way of course. I stuck with the FD2, and traded the FB3, but I like them both. Both are very versatile, which one is best just depends on your preferences and applications.

6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I have had both, although at separate times. Right now, my main/only drive is a pre-mos FD2 with the 3-way toggle. Like AXXA, I run it only on comp-cut, but I leave mine at 9v.

After listening to the expanations of AXXA and Jkokura (Awesome builder BTW.), it really makes me wish I had both on my board...

7. billyg121

Right now I run my FD2 in comp cut set up pretty clean, and always on @ 18v. If I am going to run an always on pedal..I think I would want a little more eq capabilities. I do have a Timmy coming...so maybe I will try the Timmy in that role. Thanks for all the thoughts guys.